Should Sky+ Auto switch to Dolby D?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dextur, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    Just got Sky+ , hooked it up via an optical digital cable and my Denon AV3801 knows it's now connected via digital not analogue, but it says Pro Logic not Dolby Digitial irrelevant of what I am watching.

I bunged it on a movies channel and hit the 'I' button and the film information had the 'W DS' letters which presumably means widescreen and Dolby encoded film, but it stays on Pro Logic and does not swop over.

I went into setup in the Sky+ box and changed to DOLBY in the sound setting.

What am I missing?

2. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DS movies are broadcast in Dolby Surround, which is decoded by Pro-Logic on your amp.

Dolby Digital movies have "DD" in the banner - they are only broadcast on Sky Movies 1,2 and 3 (The Disney Channel also has the functionality to do so, but rarely does). All other Movie Channels broadcast in DS at best.

Try waiting for the evening movies to come on, and look for DD in the banner - does it still stay in PL?

3. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    Ahh, so thumping the Denon won't work either :)

So seriously only Movies 1, 2 and 3 do DD? Bah I only get 2, 4, 6 and 8

I'm kinda surprised something as expensive as the Simpsons is not broadcast in DD or at least DS.

GAH!!

Ah well, at least I know it's setup ok, will see if I can find a DD movie to test the switching.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The Simpsons has been broadcast in Dolby Surround for quite a while now - haven't you noticed the banner at the start of the (recent) episodes proclaiming as much?

5. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    I tried pushing the 'I' button whilst on the simpsons and it didnt' say DS so I presumed not. Perhaps they just missed the info on that episode.

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sky only put the DS tag on the movie channels. For the more general programming, have a look at the end titles. Many of the most popular shows imported from the States have a Dolby Surround logo at the end. Since the DS is encoded into the stereo soundtrack, then it will still be there when it's delivered to your amp via the Sky+ box. $ky themselves don't have to do anything. This is different to DD, where they have to add the digital surround info into the signal feed.

7. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wonder if there will ever come a time when regular T.V shows will be recorded and broadcast in Dolby Digital?. I'm very surprised the B.B.C hav'nt done this already what with there commitment to all things digital. Imagine watching a documentary like Life on Earth or Walking with Dinasaurs with full 5.1 sound,that would be awsome.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It's happening right now in the States. The 'big name' shows that are being recorded on HDTV (Sopranos, CSI, Alias etc.) are also recorded with DD 5.1 sound. Those lucky blighters 'over the pond' are watching there favourite shows at 1080i with full digital surround right now!