1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should recievers hiss slightly? Does yours?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dankeech, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Okay, to cut a story short, I had a Sony 2-channel amp (Nothing special, cost £150), with no discernable hiss. Now I've upgraded to a reasonable NAD A/V Reciever, I have a constant background hiss that doesn't vary with volume, so low-volume is a bit annoying as can hear from just over a metre away from all speakers & headphones.

Is this normal?
    Does your Amp hiss?
    What do the suppliers say about this?
    My supplier states this is normal, as even his £4000 top-of-range Yamaha hisses in different modes.
    Surely it's not asking to much for no Hiss is it?
    My Sony did it fine.

Any opinions welcome...

Dan.

2. Tobez

Tobez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer vsx 2011, it doesnt HISS, but i do know its on, more or a HUM prob the massive PSU or some AMP circuitry to be honest.

i must say though i cant hear it when i listen to stuff, if you can hear it or if its distracting you from what your doing, then maybe its time for the dusty bin

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It shouldn't hiss at all. You may want to check that your speaker cables do not run alongside power cables. If they have to be close then make sure they cross at a 90 degree angle and don't run parallel. You may want to try a power cleaner such as the Belking PureAV (incl. surge protection, around £50, don't use the cheaper model). If your speakers are not magnetically shielded, make sure there is no other equipment close to them. Not too sure what else it could be, check all the connections and make sure they're solid.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    The A/V reciever is less than a month old though, so need to get to the bottom of it but thanx. Apart from that I love my T753. Great reciever for what I need. Menu system is ace too.

Dan.

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    MPK,
    Hissing is through the headphones too, even when no source plugged in or running, which lead me to believe not down to speaker cables. I'm I.T tech & first thing I checked was headphones to confirm if it was the case.

I take your point on the Power-cleaner. I discussed this with the shop when i took it back there on Saturday. They plugged it into what the advised was a clean circuit when I asked, which was a dedicated circuit for a small section of the small shop. They reckoned that circuit should have been pretty good, but thinking about it perhaps the NAD could be a little bit sensitive (No funny replies on that pls :rolleyes: )

May still get one though, as I'd cry if I got surged. Lost an old computer that way when we used to have British Aerospace down the road before it closed down.
    They could switch off the power at night and occasionally knock out a few houses when they were around :eek:

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,785
    Unplug all your sources from your amp one by one and see if one of these is responsible.

7. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Tried with no sources connected. Also tried 2 different DVD players plugged in one at a time. Still the same.

Use no other sources normally.

Unit is currently in the shop (dropped it off Saturday), but the shop seem to think this is probably a normal level of hiss.

Surely when spending £500 on a new A/V reciever, it isn't much to ask for pretty much a hiss-free experience.

My Aiwa (first 'hi-fi') never did that .....

8. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A receiver essentially should not hiss, but unfortunately some sony models are know to hiss. A case in point was the high end ES receiver STR 555ES. It was hissing so loud until i had to return it. That was in 2002. I am surprised they are still hissing.
    My marantz does not hiss at all!

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    It's the NAD that is hissing. My Sony TA-FB730R was quiet as a mouse.

Low-level, the issue is rather frustrating, especially the rear channels which are often quiet during films anyway..

10. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I had a couple of NAD stereo amps over the years and they both had noticeable hiss, none of the Yamaha or Pioneer AV ones I've owned have so maybe its brand dependent?

Stu.

11. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Went into the shop I bought if from, and the guy in the shop who seemed pretty good said he has the Yamaha £4k one (pointed it out in the shop) and advised he does get similiar hiss on it in Analogue Stereo modes though.

Man, if I paid £4k for an amp, I'd expect it to be quieter than Mr Hawkings when his batteries have run out.

This emphasises my point really; is it acceptable whe paying a large amount of money on something like this?

Couldn't the amp when it switches on switch off inputs briefly and check to make sure no signal on output (noise). Surely this would be a fairly simple process compared the all the electronic trickery inside the magic box.

12. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Your amp shouldn't hiss. My Yamaha DSP-AX750SE is deathly silent in every mode and so was my old receiver. If you're not happy with the level of noise your amp is producing, ask for a replacment.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    was gonna say, an amp hissing?...definitely not good in my opinion...lol

my 3803 doesnt make a squeak unless i switch on a source and play stuff, then i hear what im playing....lol
    my 3910 DVD player in the dead of night if there is a disc inside and i havnt double tapped stop can sometimes be hearable as the disc is still spinning....
    my sky+ box if its recording makes little scratching type noises, but only very barely audible even in the still of night and quite easily ignorable....
    my cat meows loudly in my ears whenever he sodding well feels like it and that gets annoying when its during a film or while im asleep...lol

14. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have you tried things like "Pure Direct", i.e. switching off all internal audio processing?

15. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    My Denon 2805 doesn't hiss at all. I had a Sony STR-DB795 which hissed and buzzed like mad. Sony tried to tell me this was normal, but I insisted on a refund as this type of kit is marketed and sold as advanced perfomance kit, therefore an audible hiss that spoils your enjoyment means it isn't 'fit for purpose'. The same argument wouldn't stand up for a £30 ghetto blaster.

Interestingly later on lots of the STR-DB795s were recalled due a 'bad batch' - I'm glad I didn't listen to the Sony Centre staff telling me it was normal. I spent ages listening to it in different modes, different speakers and headphones and thinking 'is it me?'.

My advice would be to ask for a different unit (same model) to compare. If your suppliers refuse, saying this the hiss is normal, ask for a refund and buy a different model and/or make from another supplier. Would also suggest contacting NAD directly if you haven't already.

16. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Only thing I've got is tone-defeat which cancels any changes to bass & treble. Same regardless of those. Seems the amp itself generates a hiss inside it's basic amplifier circuitry, perhaps after the amplification stage (hence doesn't change with volume)

17. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Good idea about asking for an alternative unit of same model. When I brought the unit in the shop, they did mention it was a shame that they didn't have another one to compare it against. Pity, it would have helped out a lot.

I'm sure I'll have to hope I get lucky and NAD swap the unit or fix the issue.

I'll keep you posted.

My Sony was amazingly silent and hiss-free. Miss hiss-free Audio.

18. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dan good choice on your amp (see my sig) I have no hiss issues, sounds like a dodgy unit, get a replacement and be a happy, hiss free man/woman once again.

19. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289

Add,
    This helps me a lot. Needed to find out if any T753 owners have same experience or not, rather than relying on the reseller or NAD's statement on the issue.

Thanks muchly. My reseller will be told this if they advise the fault is normal. Puts me in a position to stand firm and request a swapout if the amp comes back and nothing has been done.

Think I have faith in my reseller though, they were thorough and listened to what I had to say.

Thanks Add! :smashin:

P.S: May not be the world's most high end amp etc, but for Happiness factor at owning one, its great for me (excluding the hiss)

20. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Just an update,

Spoke to my reseller. NAD thenselves now have the reciever and I should hopefully hear back by end of week.

Apparently the software is going to be upgraded on it too (may have slipped past with old s/ware on it as shop was surprised box didn't have 'Version 2' stuck on it).

Will update next weekend or before methinks.

Dan.

21. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be another device on the same power group creating the interference. Anything with a transformer in it plugged in? How close is the NAD it to the TV for instance?

22. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Had thought that Heavenly93, but it did the same when tested it out in the hifi shop I bought it from and they state the line they were running it from was clean.

I spoke to the reseller today to let them know that someone else has the T753 and it's quiet as a mouse.

I hopefully will hear something back Friday if NAD get back to them by then. May even be able to pick up the unit hopefully. Hope there's a good answer.....

Dan.

23. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would be nice for you if they fix or replace the unit. Good luck and post the result... NAD service good or no good :)

24. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Will definitely let you all know. I'm anxious. Fixed / replaced I don't mind. I'll be sorely disappointed if comes back with same issue...

25. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just as a small and possible irrelevant point, I have an old Technics Amp I am using at the moment to power my 5.1 speaker set, on the front of the Amp there are a pair Treble and Bass knobs, if I turn these up or down it make no difference to the sound quality being pumped out, however, when both are turned up it does produce a loud, perceivable hiss through all speakers, left at the zero postion there is no hiss at all, It may be something to check.

26. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thanks Degas, tried this along with Tone defeat too, which bypasses any tone changes that have been set.

I'm playing the waiting game for now as it's with NAD & the reseller...

....Fingers crossed....

27. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan, I'm curious about my software version now, and I'm sure I've read in another thread the way to check the version currently running (time to get the book out).

28. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I don't know actually. Just looked through the prduct manual in pdf format. Doesn't say anything there and it seems same as the hard-copy of the manual. Once I get mine back, I may post any differences spotted if that's any help

Noticed you have the T562 linked up as well. Sounds lovely in music from it.

I would like to find out the software version though myself. post or PM if you find oput. I'll do likewise.

29. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Well, recieved the unit back from NAD via my reseller, and a power-related part has been replaced, however hiss has not been rectified at all.

Have emailed NAD and awaiting response. :(

30. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    In contact with the manufacturer direct now, they seem to be taking this seriously and have offered collection from work. I may take a day off and deliver direct though and see if I can discuss the issue.