1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should preamp or reciever have dmi hdmi

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nycortex, Oct 27, 2005.

1. nycortex

nycortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it better to have a reciever or preamp with DVI or HDMI? I considering getting a projector that only has one HDMI input. I wasn't sure if it is important to get a preamp with HDMI or whether it is better to get an external switcher or upscaler for the video. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if this is a basic question.

2. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An av reciever with upconversion can convert all your sources into one hdmi output, however, the quality of picture wont be as good as that from an external scaler.

3. nycortex

nycortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, do you have a reccomendation on where to start looking to decide which upscaler to by. Also do they make switches that don't include upscaler, assuming that my projector or dvd player (Oppo OPDV971H DVD) has a descent upscaler.

4. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.dvdo.com make good scalers, and yes there are switches that just switch and dont do any processig work...