Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Zebraman, Jun 17, 2005.
to "Panny 500 Section plus stuff aboot other lesser screens"
Whats a panny 500?
LOL You da man Zebraman
What do you expect when an everyman plasma at this popular price point hits the streets???
Not everyone can afford a 5k 50" plasma I guess?
is £2300 a popular price point?? jeez. if i got one it would take me 23 months to pay it off!!
maybe i should've done better at skool.
No Zebraman,you should start playing football.Barely a day's wages.
unfortuatnely for you plasma is expensive techno and 2.5 k is what I consider lower end of the market. The PQ at this price point is relatively good.
to be fair if a really good panel comes out and is sub £3000 people are bound to talk about it, forums like this do after all reflect trends and new products.
to proove my point there is not a betamax thread lol
thing is if this had been the phd8 thread, the comments would have been more constructive, not just my tvs the best! its hd ready! not really sure wat that means but theres a sticker!
because its a "tv" not a display, its accesible by everyone.
Problemo for us is every other thread is about a new owner saying "Got my PV500!!"..thats not a contribution to a forum is it?
When many of us bought the top plasma of the moment a few months back there was one long mother of a thread for all Fujitsu 50XHAS40US contributions.
OK, as the owner of a 37PV500 I will try and be as objective as possible:
1. Magnificent SKY picture. Really outstanding, and that's just with crap scarts, knocked down contrast and brightness in Cinema mode, no DVE fiddling or ISF.
2. Slight evidence of banding on certain moving graduated backgrounds, and on slow transitions from white to black screens. Not seen by wife.
3. FlyingBig has seen significant luminance changes when SKY info screen pops up, and when a light area is introduced into a dark picture. I can't reproduce the first, but I have seen the second on one kids programme. It's noticeable but not distracting, for me, but it does exist. At the moment it's not clear whether this is a long-term issue - Greyhorse claims he has cured it by calibration.
4. Looks: not the most beautiful screen in the world, but a lot better than the old ones. The bump at the back is irritating.
5. Sound: goes very loud, but not quite so good at going soft. There are some settings I've not yet worked out, so I may be able to improve this.
6. Remote: not bad, but still waaaay to complex.
7. SD player: quite fun for the kids, but has an irritating menu that obscures the pictures as you try to click through them. The SD record thing would be great if my Symbian series 60 phone could actually play the buggers (plays on my Mac fine).
8. Value: no doubt there will be many screens with more features for a lower price in the future - wasn't that always the way. For me, the quality of the SKY picture was what made this a no-brainer - who needs SDI mods now?
Conclusion: I will still have it ISF'd after 200 hours as there is a slight colour balance correction that may need to be made, and we'll see what component cables do. Haven't really tried DVDs yet, and there are an awful lot of reports that it is underwhelming on DVD compared to the Pio - I don't know if this is with or without HDMI, which the Pio is good with. Wait 6 months and there will be a load of new screens to rave about - at the moment I am very happy raving about this one...
lol..Sulis ya git ..this is a thread complaining about teh bleedin pv500 - not one for owners!!
We are not interested!!!!!
Not funny! WQhy does everyone get Sky/Sky+?
Why not NTL/Telewest, propably coz Sky is better, and smae for Playstation.
I thought if you poor sods are going to complain, you should at least know the truth... It's not perfect, but it's nearer perfect than anything other than the 50" Fujitsu... (Happy, Dilsher?)
Is the 500 any good for watching football? both Sky and terrestrial.
TBH, i like all the pv500 threads...I tend to read most threads, just in case there is a new killer plasma around the corner. Either way, i also like it when forumites tell us about how proud they are. Pics from mall look great..etc
pics belong in the diy forum or the members home cinema gallery, there shouldnt be one for every pv500 owner in the plasma screen section! if they HAVE to go in the plasma section to show off, they belong in the viera thread.
I agree, but they are in the plasma section, and its a free forum used for information, so if its not as technical, but more about how it looks then whats the problem?
Separate names with a comma.