Should output on sky+ etc be gold just like all the scarts we buy?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Widescreenx, May 26, 2005.

1. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Surely the outputs on amp should be copper plated to get the ultimate reception as well as the scarts we feed into them or is there something I'm missing? :rotfl:

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, they should - and on many amps/DVD's etc connections, especially RCA, are (gold plated, that is, not copper plated). Scart often isn't simply because it's (a) expensive, and (b) people after a really decent quality video signal will usually go component (hence the gold-plated RCA outouts and inpiuts on DVD's/AV amps etc). However, for most purposes it shouldn't make much of a difference (only really matters if the connectors are tarnished).

Cheers

Greg

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A good point indeed and one that I've always wondered about, if there's going to be a source of signal degradation at a connection point then a transition between metals will be very near the top of the cause list. But who would think to use nickel/tin plated plugs on such sockets and only gold-plated plugs on plated sockets?

Copper would be a very poor choice for plating sockets as it oxidises really quite quickly, silver would technically be the preferred option over gold. Having said all that, I really don't think that the difference would be perceptible. :)

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As I understand it the reason to use gold is to avoid non-conducting tarnishes/oxide layers. Gold is an inert metal, so it doesn't oxidise - most other do oxidise (including silver which is, if I recall, a passive metal - meaning that it does oxidise, but that the oxide layer prevents further oxidation, so making the oxide layer only a few atoms thick).

I do not think that the difference in metals makes a huge difference - the voltage from a differing metal junction is absolutely tiny, even by comparison with an interconnect or video level signal. And, if you think about it, there are a huge number of differing metal junctions in the chain from source to use (including between the base metal and the gold plating of gold-plated plugs).

What can make a difference is any tarnishing or surface contaminants on the plugs - gold helps avoid the tarnishing; a tight connection helps with mechanical wiping to clean the area being contacted.

Cheers

Greg