1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Nintendo license their games?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Miyazaki, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I was thinking, as Sega seem to have made a lot more money with their dreamcast games on other formats, maybe Nintendo could follow suit?

I heard somewhere, can't remember where, although i can remember it was most qualified that it would be a good idea. I am just echoing this really.

Basically and rather obviously Nintendo would make a heck of a lot more money from their software if they were to license their games to the likes of Sony and Microsoft. But where would this leave their hardware?

The argument i heard was that it could harm the Gamecube, but not as much as the money they would reap in from the 20 million+ users of PS2 and the however many Xbox users there are.

This seems increasingly more common with the likes of GTA going to Xbox, and splinter cell going multi-format. It seems like a good idea to me as people wouldn't have to dish out for more than one console, and more people would get to play on great games. Instead of being influenced by whatever prejudices exist against consoles. Ie people hating microsoft, or thinking nintendo is for kids etc...

What does everyone think?
    this would also seem to allow consoles to be judged on their merits, rather than their software, which seems fairer. Especially for mostly 3rd party consoles like ps2.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    :confused: Fairer? Why would it be "fairer" to judge consoles on their merits and not their software?

Software is the be-all and end-all. I didn't buy an XBox because it was technically better. I bought it because it ran the games I wanted. Ditto for my PS2, GC and PC.

I think the current setup is pretty good. The hardware is cheap enough that multi-format gaming is within reach of more people, and the strong first-party releases on the likes of GC and XBox keep competition up and give us better games.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i wouldn't have said it was competition between hardware manufacturers that keeps game quality up, rather competition between software manufacturers. Look at PS1, what competition did that have in the 90's?? And that had some of the best games ever.

Yes, you are right that hardware is cheaper, and thus more accessible, but wouldn't just owning one console make it that much more accessible?

Software is not the be-all-and-end-all at all. I know many people that have bought consoles due to marketing, the look of the console, or because they wanted to play on-line. And as microsoft is the only manufacturer that offers a reasonable on-line service, it's not hard to see why.

Also wouldn't competition be increased if all manufacturers shared the same software? Look at the competition between pc manufaturers for instance. PC's have never been so cheap. Yes, i understand that each pc will have different components, or different manufacturers making those components, and also the decreasing cost of those components. But, in a smaller market, prices are most of the time kept artificially high. (Look at the cost of a PS2 for instance. Highest price of any next-gen console, with the cheapest components, etc).

It's just a thought, and i'm positive that Nintendo, for instance, would make a hell of a lot more money, as very few people own the gamecube. And likewise with the Xbox. Kids, whatever anyone says, play a LOT of video games, and can they get their parents to buy them 3 consoles?? I doubt it.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this would definitely hurt Gamecube sales, so I don't expect Nintendo to do this until they are ready to give up on the console market. If they do decide to stop producing hardware, I'm pretty sure they will do a Sega and continue producing games.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That'd be a shame Azrikam. Now that Sega and Namco are set to merge, do you think they might bring out a new console?? That'd be interesting.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I meant between software manufacturers too - in the guise of the first party developers. Look at the resources that MS are putting into first party games in order to make their console more attractive - this can only be good for competition all round.

So how many of your friends buy their sleek marketing, shiny consoles to sit under the TV and not play games on? Games sell consoles - fact. Otherwise explain how the technically inferior PS2 outsells the XBox and GC?

How? It'd just be a numbers game then - get the game done cheap, and sell it to a mass audience. You wouldn't have the same drive for quality that comes from having the backing of the hardware manufacturers putting resources into getting AAA titles for their console.

This shows why your argument doesn't stack up. Yes, look at the price of a PC. And the look at the price of an XBox, GC or PS2. The console hardware is cheaper because the platform costs can be subsidised from the cost of the games.

There is a single, shared platform that you desire - and it is the PC. And whilst it is (IMHO) a far superior gaming platform, the cost drawbacks are pretty significant.

I'd like to see competition continuing on all fronts, hardware & software.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Sega have had enough of the console business, and I think they're doing quite well producing games. Besides, with 3 main consoles in the market, I don't see a fourth system coming into an already competitive market. Should MS or Nintendo bow out before the next round of consoles though, I'd definitely expect someone else to try their hand.

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    personally I think Nintendo should jack in the hardware market (not handheld of course) and should licence their games out. I;m not a big Nintendo fan (I do have a GC) but I appreciate the quality of their games and think it would be beneficial all round if their games were available on all formats

Just an opinion of course :)

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, me too. There's a few GC games I really want to play, but not enough to warrant picking up the system. If they were cross-platform, then I'd definitely pick them up.