Should my recently acquired M&K V-125 do this?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by lscolman, Aug 28, 2004.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I have taken delivery of a second hand M&K V-125. When the lad dropped it off this morning, the LED did not fire up, and no sound was produced.

It took about 6 or 7 minutes of power before the LED light came on, and the unit produced any sound.

In the manual it states that the sub should be left on. Do these subs require some kind of 'charging period'. The previous owner had not used the sub for 3 o 4 months.

Now when I switch the sub on and off it works first time, without the initial wait I had when it first arrived?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Lee

2. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128

Hi Lee

I think I am qualified to answer this. My M&K VX-100 has a red led on the back and a small switch. I must admit to leaving my sub on all the time and had no problems with it at all. Mind you I frequently switched it off and on especially during tweaking processes which happend alot !!

I am sure there is a 2 to 3 second delay in this thing but by the time the amp clicks it's way into life and does what it has to do the sub responds immediately.

There is definately something wrong with it mate, I would suggest you contact Gecko with the Serial number and I am sure they will sort it out.

Stu

3. mrfreeze

mrfreeze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I would tend to agree with the above comment. I have the MX150 (just about to upgrade to the 350) & mine (switching on from cold) only takes a couple of seconds until it fires to life.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF the unit has auto-on circuitry that isn't *waking up" fast enough...lower the gain control on the subwoofer and raise the bass leveler in the receiver's speaker setup menu to recalibrate the system. This will send more voltage to the subwoofer so it "wakes up" more consistently.

Tom V.

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Good Point. Isn't the wake up circuitry on subwoofers sensitive to about 0.2 volts or something like that ? It should be coming on quite easily I think, but worth a try.

6. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Hello again,

After a bit of 'oh my god, i've bought a dud', it would appear to be nothing more than a dodgy LED. I think the unit is out of warranty, so I may take a look in the future.

When I tap the front panel, sometimes the LED springs into life.

Did M&K increase the warranty period on their speakers recently. The sub manual states 3 year warranty, but I seem to remember that being increased? Can anyone comment?

I've powered it down a couple of times now, and it seems to be working fine.

Thank you for all your advice.

Cheers, Lee

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Great thing about this forum is that you get people like Tom Vodhanel replying in threads, thanks Tom!