1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should my HT1000 last longerthan this?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi everyone,

I have at last received my bulb for my NEC lamp after 5 weeks( I will explain in another thread why so long, just a company called GIROTECH robbed and lied to me to take money).

So put bulb in and staight away checked hours, it said 773 hours used and 49% left. Surely this being too short. But I have always used pj on normal and never economical.

Should I now send this to NEC? Hope you read this Gary, always a big help.

Take care,

Phill

2. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Phill

If you've just purchased a new bulb for your HT1000 surely you need to reset the HT1000's menu to tell it that you've just put a new bulb in. Otherwise you're still reading the previous bulbs life.

Clint.

3. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Clint,

I dont want to reset it yet until I have spoken to NEC on the pj blowing the bulb out early. If I reset it I cant prove it only used 51% of the last bulbs life. I am hoping that something is wrong for pj to only use 51% of bulb life or it will be an expensive pj,

Cheers,
    phill

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,095
    How old is yoru HT1000? I think the warranty is only for 90days isn't it?

Bulbs do sometimes blow early, and if it's after the warranty period then your only option is to buy a new one. The majority of lamps seem to last for their full rated life but some don't, it's unfortunate if they don't of course.

However! Some HT1000 lamps suffered a manufacturing defect where the internal reflective coating would peel away and these lamps were swapped out free of charge in the USA, so it's possible that if this is the case with yours, and that NEC UK are as helpfull as NEC USA are, you might get a free lamp back. Have a close look at the reflective material and see if it's flaked away and if there is any crazing on the lamp itslef.

Here's a link to the AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=480225&highlight=ht1000+lamp

It looks like the thread starter (Bytheoven) has removed all his posts from the thread for some reason though. The remaining texts still show replacment lamps being sent out due to the manufacturing problem. If you speak to NEC, mention it's due to a known manufacturing defect and not a normal lamp failure (if you have crazed/peeling reflective material from insed the lamp), and quote the USA forum as a reference.

Another thing you may want to look at is the colour wheel - when you take the lamp out you will see it quite clearly through a small hole. The wheels on some DLPs gets coated with a thin film of grease or something that looks like grease. It can be cleaned off quite easily using cotton buds. Lint free ones are better, but I uses ordinary ones to do mine. I gently rubbed the bud from the center of the wheel to the edge and could see the difference - it was only a minor difference but visible all the same. You will probably find the wheel will rotate as you do this, so you can just keep doing that until the wheel is clean (I used two cotton buds on mine), or you can use one bud to hold the wheel in place whilst swabbing with the other. Once all the residue is off, you can use a clean bud to 'buff' it. I didn't use anything on my cotton bud, but some people used a particular lens cleaning product or a smidgin of water.

Gary.

5. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Great to hear from you Gary, yes the lamp is damaged inside with like the silver has like a crack going half way round. The element is fine, not broken as you would see in a normal light bulb when it goes. It is 2 years old so there is no warranty. Phoned NEC and they said there is no cover with lamp.

Cleaned the colour wheel as you said and was suprised at the difference in colour as I removed "grease" from surface. Thought at first taking colour off with cotton buds. Big difference.

Thanks for your help,

Phill

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,095
    Hi Phil,

Did you see an increase in brightness after the colour wheel clean? I didn't see a difference with mine as the 'contamination' was quite minor (400hrs), but it's possible that it's measurable with a light meter if you were that way inclined. :)

Gary.