Should my friend buy a new PC or upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. tony kop77

    tony kop77
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2002
    Messages:
    6,313
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    103
    Location:
    Northamptonshire
    Ratings:
    +304
    My friend currently has
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ
    1 gig of Ram DDR 400MHZ
    Raden 9550 graphics card
    poor motherboard he got with the machine from PC World something like a PM4800

    His budget is £400 but he can add to the budget if he waits a few weeks. Should he buy a whole new PC or upgrade motherboard and graphics card and use his current fans?
     
  2. Rambles

    Rambles
    Distinguished Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Messages:
    10,314
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    167
    Location:
    UK
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    Upgrade the motherboard, CPU, HSF and graphics card. Keep the case and the drives. Should get a nice upgrade for £400. The dual core AMD's have just dropped in price.
     
  3. semiskimmed

    semiskimmed
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    Messages:
    5,117
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Nottingham
    Ratings:
    +259
    get a cheap AMD64/pcie motherboard, any will do really. X2 3800 and a ati x1800xt with another 1gb of memory. should put a huge smile on his face and be with in budget
     
  4. alphaomega16

    alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2005
    Messages:
    14,115
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    163
    Location:
    Southend on sea
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Upgrade is essentially a new PC so he can have the best of both worlds:rotfl:
     
  5. meansizzler

    meansizzler
    Banned

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    Messages:
    7,892
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    104
    Location:
    London
    Ratings:
    +343
    for £400

    Motherboard
    AMD X2 3800
    1GB RAM
    RAdeon X1800XT
     
  6. Pebb

    Pebb
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    Messages:
    13,152
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    Eastleigh
    Ratings:
    +829
    I would say, save up money, and buy a new PC next year with Core 2 Duo and a DX10 graphics card.
     
  7. Cookie_Monster

    Cookie_Monster
    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
    Messages:
    93
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a similar dilemma myself at the moment on whether to upgrade now or wait just that wee bit longer. I am waiting for the next generation graphics cards from nvidia and ATI before upgrading. I am also hoping by that point there will be Core 2 Duo motherboards based on nvidia's nforce 590 chipset out. It will be interesting to see if ATI get to bring out a new intel chipset (RD600 iirc) given their merger with AMD. However, if I was to keep waiting and waiting for the latest technology then I would never get to upgrade.

    In my opinion I believe the current Core Duo 2 CPUs are worth the extra over the AMD range.

    What about the PSU in your friend's computer? Is it competent enough by today's standards or well past it? Also, I have observed that motherboards these days seem to come with only the one IDE connector - not a good thing if you want to add two IDE CD/DVD drives as well as two IDE hard drives without incurring an extra expense.
     

Share This Page

Loading...