Should my amp or dvd decode sound?

lil old me

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey there my amp has phono inputs on the back, would it be better for me to connect my denon 2200 (when i get it) via digital (either coaxial or optical) or by the analogue phono inputs? As far as I understand it, it's a choice between the amp doing the work or the dvd player?
Also my amp, pioneer vsx d912 has a DAC that outputs at 96kHz/24-Bit but the dvd at 192 kHz / 24 Bit Burr Brown will this make a difference? As I haven't got the dvd yet would it better to get one with a lower quality DAC as the amp is less good?

Thanks in advance L

If you use a dvd player to decode the signal, presuming it has a decoder, you'll need 6 leads, or 3 pairs, to take the signal to the amp. Does the amp have 5.1 inputs?

If the amp is doing the decoding you only need one, either via coax or optical.

Bearing in mind the cost of half decent leads I know what way is more cost effective.

Its better if the amp does it assuming it has similar features to the player in what it can decode. This is especially true if any stages of amplification are digital within the amplifier. I doubt however if you could tell the difference but if you could it should be in the ampllifers favour.

However assuming you have to connect the 5.1 analogue cables anyway for dvd audio or sacd if it has them I would just use them and then borrow a coaxial or optical cable to see if it makes a difference for dolby digital/dts etc.

I'm definitely in favour of using both - as Bonzo says, you'll be sorted for DVD-Audio/SACD (whichever the 2200 does - or is it both ?).

Even on a cheap supermarket player like the Compacks DVD5000, I'm hooked up both ways - for older films with either mono, stereo or ProLogic soundtracks I can exploit the '5000's ability to punch out a decoded analogue Dolby ProLogic 2 signal to my ancient Yamaha DSPA5.

In terms of difference between the two, I'd have to say I favour the digital route, however :)

Normally using the digital connection will give you more flexibility in terms of settings / bassmanagment, most DVD players are pretty limited at that. And as mentioned you require one cable only.
Usually the amp will do a better job at decoding, but in the end it depends on the actual equipment used.

But for DVD-A and / or SACD you need to use the analog connection (6x RCA/phono cables), unless you have some proprietary digital-connection available.

I forgot about the dvd-a thing so yeh use both. :)

Thanks for replying, looks like ill use both then! Now which connector will i need for the analogue? Will it be some of this? HERE
And if so im guessing ill need 6 altogether so 3 groups of 2. Will the subwoofer channel use the same cable? So it IS just 6 of the same of five then one.

Thanks again L

Yes, 3 x 2 phono cables will be fine to link your DVD player to your amplifier, assuming your amp has 5.1 inputs (we never actually established whether it has) :)

Yes it does Pioneer vsx d912 It doesn't make it very clear on the site but the manual definitly says it does. Thanks for everyones help, looks like ill be needing to do a bit more saving up!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom