Should Mics be used more in sp games?

MANGABOY

Novice Member
I was playing the Endwar demo the other day trying out the voice recognition and found it worked quite well. But also then started thinking that even without that, just by receiving orders or info straight through the mic earpiece actually made the game feel a hell of a lot more realistic and made me feel more involved. Why don't developers start doing this in more single player games, sending orders straight down the mic earpiece, it would make shooters like COD and espionage games like Splinter Cell and such much more engaging I reck

Morphies

Novice Member
funny, that, I can sit here all day talking to the mates on my headset, but feel a right tit talking t othe 360 itself :confused: :D

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Not to keen myself. I remember playing Rainbow 6 on the the xbox and you could issue commands via the headset, stuff like 'open, frag and clear' when at a door or something, but it didnt really work. I dont have an accent(well i dont think so) but i imagine people from various northern cities would probably struggle even more. Perhaps if there was somesort of voice training mode this could be overcome but for me, at this time, nowt wrong with pressing a couple of buttons to get something done, maybe this is why i dont own a Wii!

MANGABOY

Novice Member
Yeah but i'm not actually talking about giving voice commands, I mean actually just receiving in game instructions and updates from commanding officers through your mic earpiece rather than through the tv speakers or surround system. With my wireless headset on, it actually feels more like I'm out in the field :D

The original Manhunt on the PS2 had a bit of this where you could hear the insane director on the mic laughin in your ear, could really add a lot to a game if done well. Imagine survival horror games where you could get sudden whisperin in your ear, scare the crap outa ya :eek:

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Rainbow Six on the Xbox and the 360 versions are my only experience with voice commands in a game and it doesn't work very well so I'm happy to use the button commands.

MANGABOY

Novice Member
Mods may as well close this thread. People aren't gettin what I'm tryin to say :rolleyes:

bananacat

Novice Member
Not to keen myself. I remember playing Rainbow 6 on the the xbox and you could issue commands via the headset, stuff like 'open, frag and clear' when at a door or something, but it didnt really work. I dont have an accent(well i dont think so) but i imagine people from various northern cities would probably struggle even more. Perhaps if there was somesort of voice training mode this could be overcome but for me, at this time, nowt wrong with pressing a couple of buttons to get something done, maybe this is why i dont own a Wii!
trust me this will work I had the same problem with Rainbow Six 3, but this is amazing I just played it for the first time and I can tell you something I will be buying it when it comes out.

bananacat

Novice Member
Mods may as well close this thread. People aren't gettin what I'm tryin to say :rolleyes:
I get what your trying to say but it got kinda hijacked, The commands given to me where good there is another game STUNTMAN I think that told you what to do thru the earpiece and that was good to, definatly make you feel more into the game without a doubt

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Mods may as well close this thread. People aren't gettin what I'm tryin to say
I agree with your point I overlooked. Even though I preferred not to use the mic to give voice commands in Rainbow Six on the Xbox I did like the fact that your orders and squad chatter came through the headset when it was connected. This annoyed me with SWAT: Global Strike Team, this also had voice commands but your squad chatter didn't come through the headset and took away from the immersion.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
i do like games that do that

it gives more of a sense of feel

the whisper thing sounds awesome

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Yeah but i'm not actually talking about giving voice commands, I mean actually just receiving in game instructions and updates from commanding officers through your mic earpiece rather than through the tv speakers or surround system. With my wireless headset on, it actually feels more like I'm out in the field :D
Doh!!! i guess i missed out the key word, receiving, when i read your original post. Erm so yeah, i guess that would be pretty cool in squad type games where NPC's talk directly to you it comes out through the headset but if they are talking to each other it still come out through tv/surround, i can see the benefits of something like that

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
it might mean that on games people hear more of the conversation and storyline instead of the background noise dominating

jonnydynamite

Novice Member
Voice commands on Endwar = t3h aw3som3

I was so impressed that it worked every time. Much better than my previous experience with Rainbow 6 on xbox which had me banging my head in frustration. I agree that it did feel quite immersive and I'd like to see it in a few more games if they get it to work as well as that. GRAW 3 would be a prime candidate (if they are making one).

cokker

More voice commands in SP games would be good as it could save a lot of button mashing at critical times but it must be hard trying to sort out things like accents. A Londoners " 'ellao" is a little different to a Scotsman's "heloo", some programmers get it right some need work.

Also in the heat of the moment something like "Throw frag" etc may come out as "Frow f*g" (sorry no offence to anyone).

And another thing, the quality of some peoples mics vary a lot, some people have them resting on their lips others about 5cm away, background noise like surround sound interferes too.

Seem like to much hassle to most programmers, i don't blame them!

MANGABOY

Novice Member
Well at least half the people on this thread understand my original point :) I don't think we are ready for voice command in games quite yet but c'mon any developers if your reading this, start using our mics as sound output devices, it would makes games soooo much better :smashin:

Winkle

Novice Member
I agree with you; I think games like CoD and rainbow would benefit from ingame commands coming directly through your mic. Would make it seem more realistic.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Played Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for the first time today. I was playing Co Op with my bud and both of commented just how much more immersive it would be if the ingame breifings came through the headset.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom