• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Should knife be two 'hits' to kill?

nickGT

Established Member
Lately I have been getting a bit peeved with the fact its a 1 hit kill with a knife. It makes no sense that It takes 3 point blank shots with an ak47 to the chest to kill someone yet the same 'person' can die with 1 stab to the foot.

I noticed WoR posted something about this on his youtube as well.

YouTube - Obviously Outplayed Black Ops Vol.1

If the knife was 2 hits to kill i feel it would be more balanced and would mean this commando lunge bs wasn't so much of a problem.

What does everyone think?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I agree.

SHATNERSTACTIC

Prominent Member
I have an issue with the commando lunge range like most others but up close and personal a knife to the throat should do more damage than a bullet to the body. Maybe there should be a multiplier for upper-body and head to make one stab kills. TBH, even without this, I think Treyarch have this right so long as the range isn't more than a reasonable lunge.

I've noticed WoR amongst others in the youtube clique have invented this term 'panic-knifing' to excuse their own deaths when they've been surprised by an opponent who has reacted faster. It's ridiculous to drop shot from 3 feet and expect to come out on top, like many are trying and failing to do.

fozzeh

Prominent Member
Get back to the old days on Counterstrike - standard slash; you messed them up after 6 odd hits...hardcore slash; to and down and takes a lot more skillful timing.

Swordfish

Prominent Member
Definitely, either slow it down like BBC2 or 2 from the front 1 from behind like Halo apparently? Panic knifing definitely happens as it used to happen to me before I switched to tactical layout. I used to accidentally melee when I suddenly saw someone who wasn't even within knifing range which left me vulnerable, switching to tactical stopped this as worst case I just accidentally crouch.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
definately shouldnt be a 1 hit kill,the distance should be nerfed too.its almost like commando sometimes.put 4 bullets in them at point blank range then get knifed......

uzer

Prominent Member
I think it is fine how it is. If they are close enough to knife you, you are close enough to knife them. I call that balance.

As opposed to MW2 where you had to have commando to be close enough to knife someone with commando...at least now if you survive a knife fight isn't determined by what perk you have in the 3rd spot.

Det

Distinguished Member
The commando knife lunge range was nerfed in a "test" phase so it shouldn't be as bad as it was.

LJx

Prominent Member
Oh it's still bad, if you are running behind someone and they are running the same speed you can pull off lunges that make commando look weak

Det

Distinguished Member
Oh it's still bad, if you are running behind someone and they are running the same speed you can pull off lunges that make commando look weak
I would think this was down to latency. On their screen you look to be within knife range, but when the info gets to you for killcam it looks like it was commando range. Not sure though.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
That video says it all.
I counted 5 bullets with direct hits to the enemy.
Its embarrasing :suicide:

Sharpy76

Distinguished Member
I think that default melee should be a 2 hit kill with the butt of your weapon and if you want to knife, it replaces your secondary.

Panic knifing is driving me mad in this game:rolleyes:

addyb

Distinguished Member
I think it is fine how it is. If they are close enough to knife you, you are close enough to knife them. I call that balance.

As opposed to MW2 where you had to have commando to be close enough to knife someone with commando...at least now if you survive a knife fight isn't determined by what perk you have in the 3rd spot.

Agree totally. I've got as many kills from knife attacks as I have deaths. You win some, you lose some. Just have to be quick on the draw.

TyFlip

Established Member
Agree totally. I've got as many kills from knife attacks as I have deaths. You win some, you lose some. Just have to be quick on the draw.

Agreed but more often than not, the knifer is favoured in a one v one.

O

OilSlickz

Agreed 100% deal with it soldiers, its certainly not a game breaker like Commando was.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Agreed but more often than not, the knifer is favoured in a one v one.

So use your knife then.....:)

I have thought about changing to tactical layout, but I don't want to lose the instant melee. It's not just a 'panic' reaction to press R3, it's ingrained from so many hours play.

KMC

Banned
The knife lunge has been nerfed i see myself getting stabbed less often, as commando is gone. I have seen man times players pull the knife and miss, so i hip fire them!!

A knife should be a secondary, but 1 hit kill.

fix party support, lag, make the knife secondary and we have a pretty much perfect game.

SlinkDaddy

Prominent Member
1 from behined, and 2 from the front i recon.

Is that a double entendre?!;)

I think the one stab kill is fair enough IMO. There has to be some pain for the tactical set up drop shotters out there (which I am one of).

xDjentleman

Established Member
i should be one hit one kill but it needs to be nerfed so that you will only connect with the knife if the person is directly infront of you (like half a meter or something?)

i think BFBC2 got it right

feaviolp

Prominent Member
i should be one hit one kill but it needs to be nerfed so that you will only connect with the knife if the person is directly infront of you (like half a meter or something?)

i think BFBC2 got it right

Agreed. I'm finding on Blops that even though there is no commando perk, people still seem to be lunging at me commando style.

I like the idea of needing to have the knife equipped as the secondary to be able to use it too :smashin:

xDjentleman

Established Member
yeah it seems as if people are invicible when they lunge like the days of commando... i thought we were past this, but now it's not even a perk :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom