1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having seen someone selling a sanyo lcd such as mine, i feel i might get about £800 or 900 for it. Also i notice a few crt's floating about at that and less.....

so would anyone consider selling lcd to get cheap crt? Is the jump in quality really that vast?

thanks!

ad

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, bearing in mind that you posted in the CRT Forum, you gonna get the answer ...

Y E S !!

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does a fish have a watertight head:D

Steve

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    silly question really! :p

I might not be a solicitor, but i'll try and word my way around the inevitable answer, to the correct one!

First add a couple of problems. My room is not exactly ideal, I cannot ceiling mount, unless i can place the projector about 4 fot lens to screen! I feel my only location would be within a large wooden coffee table affair, but even then i cant stretch much beyond the 6 foot mark! To fit it into the table, i would need something less than 75x75x30cm. Again perhaps compounding issues, this would mean that the lenses would find themselves a couple of feet lower than the bottom of the screen, which would be 7 foot wide.

So.......with those stipulations, is it still possible? Bearing in mind that i couldnt spend more on a crt than i would get for my sanyo.

Can I have an, impartial, opinion concerning the performances of a cheap crt and my lcd, given that i am an amateur for setting it up!

Thanks! :D

ad

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I sold my LCD pj (admittedly for £3k) and bought myself a Barco 701s (low end CRT) for half that. Why? Well, I loved my LCD but realised it just could not deliver the picture quality I was striving for and when I demo'd the Barco (with a Quadscan pro) I was just blown away with the film like image.

Nothing like an 801/808/1208 et al I realise but still head and shoulders above my LCD (which was one of the latest and not cheap).

The 701 would fit in a coffee table the dimensions you give but would not give a very big pic at 6ft throw.

All above just my opinions :D

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

I guessed the projection distance would be the biggest difficulty. To get a larger distance would mean getting the tools out in a fairly big way, which is out of the question until at least Christmas.

Perhaps Im asking this question a year too early!

I'll try and post a plan of my room and see if anyone can come up with anything!

Ad

Ps. an embarassingly newbie question, but arent crt dramatically quieter than lcd?

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    From my experience CRTs are generally louder, but less high pitched so less annoying.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: :eek: LOUDER!? Oh dear, any much louder and i wont be able to hear the soundtrack...... thats a mega bad point then.

thanks

ad

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    A CRT PJ also has to be in a totally fixed mounting; ie. your 'coffee table' would need to be rigidly affixed to the floor and the PJ rigidly affixed to the table. Any movement/repositioning after installation will throw the convergence right off and it would need recalibrating.

10. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you have a 1209 Jeff, is it really that loud? I have a 1208 which is basically the same chassis, and it's very quiet indeed.

PK

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It starts off fairly quiet but then gets louder as the projector warms up. I'm half way through a fan mod at the moment so hopefully that will help. I'm also putting some ducting in the ceiling to vent hot air out of the room. A lot depends on what volume you listen to DVDs at, at reference levels the projector isn't going to bother you, at -25db it will. Also as I said in the last post, its a different kind of noise to LCD/DLP projectors, the fans (4 80mm's on my 1209s) are much larger on a CRT projector and it sounds like a whoosh rather than a whine, far less intrusive, but as a db rateing you are still talking around 40dbs or more when the projector warms up.

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I've just got back from OZ, where at the airport I bought an really good Oz mag called "stereophile guide to home theater".

It's a really good read, much much better than the normal HCC or Essen HC et al dat other bull. It has a very good bit on PJ's which I will scan and put here, but if i mess up, mail me and I'll send it to your email address ok.

Whilst out there, I was staying in Port Douglas near Cairns and our resort had a outdoor cinema with a 50' odd screen. The PJ was a NEC digital (not sure of model), gotta say I was really quite surprised at how good the picture was...

Scans in a bit ok.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am I sensing adversity has quietened the normally vocal crt camp!?

So you guys are going to let me away with having to get a new bulb for my lcd!? I thought better! :D

ad

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If my only choice was LCD I wouldn't bother. :p

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice to see sympathy! :p

I am already drawing up an alternative plan.......1 year plan, large garage conversion! But can no one think how i could manage something in the meantime?

Ad

16. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Originally I was going to buy a LCD/DLP.

I deliberately spent a lot of time in both the CRT and Digital forums on AVS to get a balanced viewpoint.

What I found was the CRT forum had a number of people slagging off Digital projectors and the Digital Forum is full of people trying to get "Almost CRT Quality".

Digital Pro's have their uses - but Film is not one of them.

I then looked into the costs and thought "why have Near CRT Quality" when I can actually have CRT for less money?

When I saw my first CRT (Sony 1271QM which I have now) it wasn't long before it was in the back of my car.

<G> I sound like an evangelist. :eek:

17. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi buns,

I've found my CRT (BarcoGraphics 1208 in my case) is /far/ better than the LCD and DLP projectors I tried, however it is large and heavy and needed to be mounted to the ceiling.

I originally thought that floor mounting would be the way to go, but after I considered seating position and used a cardboard cutout to assess the real size of the projector I decided the size was acceptable. It doesnt get in the way, it's up high enough that I dont bang my head; the only complaint I received when I invited the family round is that it occasionally makes noises due to thermal expansion of the case when it's on - I however, saw Roland swing from the mounting bracket, and know it's safely mounted across three ceiling joists.

You're trading picture performance against convenience with CRT, and need to be certain you're making the right decision.

PK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.