should I wait

E

Eddie_06

Hi, I recently have been considering upgrading from my crt 32" to an LCD. I was wondering if it is worth waiting for prices to come down on 1080p or is a screen that displays 1080i going to be almost as good. I have a budget of around £1700 and was thinking of considering a sony 40" V series. I shall be getting sky HD at the same time. I have read the reviews and it all seems good but is there a better alternative on the horizon. P.S: I doubt I'll be able to stretch to a 40" X series at @£3000:eek:

How about waiting for the Sharp LC37GE1E, out soon, hopefully.

You only really need 1080p if you're also wanting to use it as a big computer monitor. 1080i is all you really need for HDTV / HD-DVD etc, and 720p is all you should need for console gaming. (if you're interested in that)

The LC-37GE1E looks like a great set, and will support 1080p from the looks of it, but there's no word on 1:1 mapping for hooking a PC up to it. The US version has a DVI PC input which is perfect for it, whereas it looks like we only get VGA - and VGA usually isn't great at high resolutions like that. Hopefully Sharp will offer "dot by dot" mode for HDMI so we can use a PC with it properly.

Just placed an order for one last night, as Cheap Electricals were saying "available now" but apparently it's been delayed until next month.

Does cheap electricals have the correct price on this tv because every other site is much more. Is there anywhere that has the spec for the tv. I don't see it on the Sharp site.

balatabelt said:
Does cheap electricals have the correct price on this tv because every other site is much more. Is there anywhere that has the spec for the tv. I don't see it on the Sharp site.
Not sure about the price, I do know they were about £500-800 less than anywhere else for the Sony X series when it just launched, so it's possible that they've done the same again with the Sharps.

• 1920x1080 panel
  • 2x HDMI
  • 2x SCART
  • 1x VGA (accepts component via adapter)
  • 450cd/m2 brightness
  • 1200:1 contrast ratio
  • 6ms response time
  • 176 degree viewing angle
  • 4 wavelength backlight for improved red reproduction
  • Advanced OPC (automatically adjusts backlight based on room lighting, and max/min can be set to your tastes)
  • "Clear Voice" sound system.
  • Removable speakers.
  • 2x 15W sound system.
  • Integrated Freeview

1080p support isn't yet confirmed, but looks likely:
PC World said:
The LC-37GE1E has a 37-inch screen with a 1920 by 1080 resolution. Most of the so-called "HD-ready" TVs sold in Europe have resolutions of 1280 by 720 and show HD content with 1080 lines only in the 1080i mode (also known as interlaced).

This LCD-TV is different. It can display the full HD progressive resolution and, according to the company, is perfect for viewing the soon-to-come HD channels and HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc movies.

Some pictures of the US model here: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.php?p=872160&postcount=2599

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom