Should I wait until after XMAS

itbestuk

Standard Member
Hiya, I am trying to gauge whether I should wait until after XMAS to buy my new TV, does anyone foresee the prices coming down that much after the happy day?

Also, that deal JL had when they gave the free HD-DVD player away with a 40W2000 will that be coming back???

That would be ace!!

rogerft

Hiya, I am trying to gauge whether I should wait until after XMAS to buy my new TV, does anyone foresee the prices coming down that much after the happy day?

Also, that deal JL had when they gave the free HD-DVD player away with a 40W2000 will that be coming back???

That would be ace!!

Like every Christmas/New Year Sale the TV's that will come down most in price are those were their are lots of stock - because they are overpriced, out of date, not selling, or specials made for the sales. You won't see much movement on the internet for premium sets but the high street have plenty of fat to slice off!

Thats not to say you can't pick up a bargain especially the department stores with the get you in the door only one at this price etc.

a8ch

Novice Member

Personally thats what Im doing. Judging by the number of sub £400 32 lcd's around with impressive `on paper' specs, at the moment, things can only get better (heres hoping anyway!).:clap:

Billposter

Standard Member
I think I'll wait 'til Jan before I buy any high ticket item.

But I won't buy from Curry's Dixon's PC World even if the price is 50 % off as I don't buy from cowboys.

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I'm waiting til 2007.

Don't think retailers will lower prices any before Xmas as they know that most people will pay anything coming up to Xmas.

2007 should see price reductions, especially when no-one is spending any money!!

Inactive

Novice Member
2007 should see price reductions, especially when no-one is spending any money!!

Agreed, wait til around February and the over-spent credit card bills start landing on door steps, that is the time people stop spending money that they don't have.;)

itbestuk

Standard Member
Even with the knowledge that the prices should dip in early 2007 it is still very tempting just to sod it a go and buy the TV you want now!

I am wresting with Heart and head at the moment, who will win??? (probably my heart)

bigtim

That would be ace!!

As I've just posted on another thread, if you buy from JL you can re-pricematch as many times as you like if you see it cheaper within 28 days.

The offer at the mo with the 40w2000 and hxd860 is the TV for £1995 and £200 off the recorder (=£2190 total). So you can pricematch the TV down to £1569 (selling for that in Peterborough) and then add the the DVD recorder (= £1764 total) Still a gdod deal when you factor in the 5 year guarantee and the ability to re-pricematch against January price reductions!

It's obvious thought that JL realised what mistake they made with the "free" DVD recorder deal and are now trying to claw back some margin!

BTW it was an upscaling DVD, HDD recorder, player. Not an HD-DVD player.

bitskull

Standard Member
You can wait forever coz prices are still falling down. Its up to you ;) Personally I want something for holiday! :)

bigtim

Bigtim: Did you buy the 40w? if so whats the quality like on SD now you have it home, and be honest!

I did and, honestly, it's far better than I expected!

The analogue tuner isn't great but that's because I get a lot of reflections and ghosting on my aerial - the CRT was as bad. On freeview it's superb and that's what I watch exclusively.

Other posters have mentioned a bit of a "soft" pic and I'd go with that (from close up) but that's not a bad thing with freeview SD. After running the settings from another thread, even up to 2 foot in front of the screen I don't see the big blocking and pixelisation that is obvious on my Dad's Sky SD fed Tosh 32wl56 even from 4 feet.

From 6 feet it's just excellent - even with rugby (I don't watch soccer). I don't see motion blur (except wehn noise reduction is turned on or there are some particularly fast credits scrolling at the end of a show).

Some channels are better than others but BBC1, 2, 3 CH4, Film4 and Channel 5 make up the bulk of my viewing and I can't fault them. DVD better again (naturally).

Tried HD from a HD camcorder and that showed what the set is truly capable of - spookily clear.

So I'm happy, but I'd still recommend you view one you can tweak the settings on and compare to a plasma (like a Panasonic 37px60) - some people just prefer the glowing phosphor and flicker of a plasma. It is more CRT-like, LCDs have a different, more detailed pic (that I prefer).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom