1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I wait or Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Acidburn, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm new here to all this TV business however i've been snooping around and found some questions....

First off an outline, bsaically I'm going to university in sept (hofefully...) anyway, i'm wanting cable put in ...and require a TV i guess :p ... Well rather than a big ugly CRT one I thought why not invest and buy a LCD tv? But you mention of digital wars and stuff... Like its not a great investment for the future somehting about Digital vision or something? So what should I do? Save my money or invest in one and hope for the best? Also could someone recommend a nice 23... - 28 inch? I dont want something too big! Since I'm in uni accomdeation and they not too big.

Also the TV must be able to connect to a DT along with a DVI in out please....

Thanks...

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    next year they will be 2x as good
    and 1/2 the price............wait.

3. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope your not studying English. :D

4. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean "you're" or "you aren't".Those in glass houses............ :nono:

5. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hey, we aren't all typists. Lots of subscribers make errors. No need to pick on snapper but for the same reason he shouldn't have picked on Acidburn.

6. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe I was "picking" on anyone.The reason for pointing out his poor grammar,was to show he had no right to pick(and he was)on Acidburn for his spelling errors.I shall refrain from further comment on this matter before being reprimanded by a mod for being :offtopic:

7. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

This a reasonable enough comment but if we all adopted it we would never actually purchase any product would we?.

Drphibes

8. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree.I'd had my iPod less than two months before Apple announced Generation 4,complete with price drop.Does it bother me?Not really,I still have a good quality product at what I considered a good price at the time.
    As for what to buy;I'd be looking at the JVC which seems to get a lot of praise and has a gorgeous aesthetic design.You can get these in both 23 and 26 inch;do some internet searches for prices.

9. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry for my bad english but I guess I was tired at the time of writing it. I only hope this is better :D...snapper i'm going to uni to study computer science, whilst at the same time i'm hoping to purchase a lcd display nothing bigger than 30". However I have some details of what it must do...

- Must have iDTV
    -Must be able to use a Digi threate sound system... 5.1 (duno what exactly lol)
    - Must be able to connect a digital box...(Cable TV)
    - Must be able to connect pc to it either by using S-Video or Digital i/p o/p

Thats it for now i guess ... DVD will be through my PC so can't think of anything else... Apart from I only have 1500 to spend hope its enough to get a half decent one

Thanks all...

Acidburn

10. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi AcidBurn, can I just add a suggestion if you're staying in digs with a load of other students...

- Must have insurance

:rotfl:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good point on the insurance! You want a std monitor as well I'm guessing, unfortunate as I don't think your perfect panel exists. Hyundai is within budget but has analogue tuner, Sharp idtv is out of budget, no DVI, but a super set. S-video is often disappointing from a PC, they just don't seem that good at it. The Hyundai and a freeview box might be the sensible thing to do. Not a brilliant panel, but it's cheap and therefore student suitable.

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Shuttle SFF and All in Wonder type graphics card with a nice 17"-20" TFT keeps popping into my head. This covers the computer side of 'computer science', conposite or S-Video conection to TV box add a neblar TV card and Bob's your Aunty after the opp. :thumbsup:

After you have shifted your stuff from Halls to home a few times, small and light is the way, trust me I know from two daughters at Uni. Long drive, 2 hours loading and long drive back before ages unpacking, then they skin me for £20 so they can go see thier mates......Doh!

13. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grahm> lol... nice story my sister goes to uni and yes you got it right :D ... So you guys think I should wait? Well it was either a Lcd display or a cheap normal CRT TV ... need something to connect that digital box up too :p I guess the need of connecting the pc to it isnt a real big issue i already have a sony TFT 17" been with me since it was out and paid top wack for it but it was worth every penny!