should I wait for the gz950 or go c8 or fz802 NOW!

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by j77all, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
?
  1. wait

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. c8

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. leedspokerguru

leedspokerguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Doesnt the FZ have the edge in motion handling too?

2. martin 39

martin 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I spent about a month looking at both and went with the 802 form my old kuro . It truly is stunning . No motion judder great natural picture . I might be wrong but reading all the posts I see more people moaning about faults on the LG far more than I do on any other brands . Which put me off

3. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    The scale of LG customers vs Panasonic is the major reason for this. Roughly an 8-1 sale ratio (JL and curry’s sales figures) so 8x more people moaning.

Not to say the LGs dont have issues, but I’m not sure they’re any more issue prone than any other manufacturer.

4. encaser

encaser
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,709
    Assuming the Panasonic cohort of posters is representative, raising their number by 8 fold wouldn't change the ratio of satisfied or dissatisfied customers.

LG are fairly quick to offer F/W fixes but they have an alarming knack for creating other issues with them and in so doing garner more complaint posts.

5. Slugsy01

Slugsy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    I’m hanging on till the GZ2000 comes out, always liked Panasonic picture quality, if the FZ has DV I probably would go for that now!

6. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    Well according to the What Hifi review the Panasonic is a cheap and good try but not in the league of the LG C8 basically they tried to copy the LG C8 but still not as good.

7. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
  8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    Well you must being seeing things in that review that I cannot. Not once does it say leagues, but marginal, a match for, similar, remarkably LG C8-like performance at a lower price.

9. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    Frankly, and I mean no offence, quoting what hifi is like quoting mc Donald when you talk about food
    Just convenient !! At best !!!

perhaps it is also best to simply recognise that c8 and 802 are superb TVs in their own rights...Really top class both.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Absolutely. The insinuation that there are significant differences between any of these recent OLEDs is daft. Plain and simple...

11. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    I bought the 802 for the following reasons:
    1 Excellent reviews, including on AVF.
    2 HDTV shoot out.
    3 Out of the box colours.
    4 Past experience of the reliability of Panasonic TVs.
    5 Panasonic 5 year guarantee.
    6 Wales winning the 6 Nations.

12. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    They give the C8 the top award for TV of the year for 2018 at 65 inches and 55 inches. And AVForums always rate Panasonic the best even when it’s not like last years Panasonic and the year before and I owned that £8000 Panasonic.

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    HDTV gave the award to the Panny for 2018. Every set has it's strengths and weaknesses which can be said of almost all products but you do seem to be rubbishing the 802 at every opportunity. Surely, apart from pointing out glaring faults with any TV, it's more generous to say you prefer the LG because...…..

14. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    It’s better?

15. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880
    No, each to their own, I can only highly recommend the LG Oled TVs. Panasonic in my view are playing catch-up. I did nearly buy the Panasonic this year too.

16. Desafino

Desafino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 55" FZ952c here in Canada. PQ is great and I've been enjoying Netflix, Amazon video & Plex movies on it. I have a Nvidia Shield TV hooked up to the tele.

My only issues with the FZ panny is:
    a) Firefox OS is atrocious, especially when compared to LG's Web OS.
    b) Remote is stuck in a bygone era, LG's remote is decades better.
    c) Firmware updates aren't forthcoming like other manufactures who announce a slew of updates...You'll be hearing crickets waiting for Panasonic to announce anything.
    d) And this is a small one, but, I find it strange that the hdr badge/logo is broken when hitting the info button, you won't know if you're accessing HDR10 or HDR10+ on internal/external streaming apps.

So the short of it is, there are hits & misses when it comes to choosing a TV, we all have different viewing habits, and we perceive things differently from one person to the next.
    Make a list of the things you want in a TV, and the stuff you can do without..

Happy shopping!

17. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,364
    Coming from the C8 to the FZ802, I agree with some of that. Really the best thing about the C8 for me was the WebOS and I really liked the motion cursor aspect of the remote. I'd go as far to say that I initially sorely missed this when I returned the TV.

As for Panasonic, the remote does feel like stepping back in time - though I've since moved onto the Harmony Elite remote to get everything playing nicely together.

I suppose you could throw the same dated criticism at Panasonic's My Home Screen OS, it's not at all flashy, but strangely, I do like the speed and simplicity of it once all is set-up.

Now that I have a couple picture presets sorted and the settings to my preference, I actually don't see the deeper menus very often at all. Everything I want quick access to is pinned to the Home screen (Netflix, Amazon, Inputs, etc.). And should I want to change settings I can just tap the Picture mode button and toggle through my handful of chosen presets.

As for firmware updates - is a lack of frequent updates a bad thing in TV land? Usually we only see new features added if they are advertised well before release, beyond this most TV firmware updates seem to be to fix software bugs.

The only update I'd really care to see is a solution to the inconsistent ARC audio issues that some of us are experiencing. Although that's probably not a Panasonic issue per se, as I was having similar, albeit less annoying ARC issues on the C8 too.

I suppose the point for me is that a display is ultimately about the picture quality, so long as the OS doesn't get in the way by being slow and unresponsive, then is it really that relevant? I like knowing that the FZ802 is providing an accurate picture out of the box, I prefer the motion and I really like how well it upscales 1080p Blu-ray's.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  18. martin 39

martin 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The one thing i would like is voice control when searching for stuff on netflix amazon etc everything else is perfect for me