Should I wait for the 2018 OLED?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Goldill88, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:

1. Goldill88

Goldill88
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I am going to buy a 65inch LG OLED. I am just torn on whether to buy a 2017 B7 or C7 or wait until the 2018 come out. From what I understand the 2018s will have google assistant which I don't need and the C7 will have an updated processor. I am not too familiar with tv specs. Will the new processor make that much of a difference? Does anyone have an idea of the price of the 65" c8?

2. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,561
      If money isn’t an issue (or if it is and you can wait until next Sept>) I’d say wait for a 2018 model.
      It has everything the 2017 has plus extra processing so will provide a better picture.
      Otherwise pick up a good deal now.
      I just bought and would like the new 2018 features but not prepared to pay the launch price (if similar to last year) or wait until it drops post summer.

You’ll be happy either way :)

3. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,561
      LCDs have their issues too.
      I love oled, even with its issues.

4. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +387
      If money’s no issue I’d get a 2018 model it should handle colour graduation smoother but £3499 for a 55 E8 is a lot of money.I was waiting until 2018 but couldn’t resist a 55 E7 for £1499 and worth every penny it’s a great tv I’m glad I finally got one as every year I waited for next years model which if not carefull means you never buy one but wait until November if you can for a good price drop.

5. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +477
      Wrong thread?

6. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,561
      I should have quoted user, but comment beforehand more of less said stay away from oled as it has issues, go for flad.
      It’s been removed.

7. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +259
      My 2016 OLED is the best TV i've ever had, but my biggest complaint with it is with regards to juddery motion in some panning shots due to the way OLED works.

From what I gather watching Vincent Teoh's CES videos, LG have actually got a 'black frame insertion' mode now which should make these look better? With that in mind, I would personally wait now for the 2018 sets.

8. DocLivingstone

DocLivingstone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +22
      I don't understand why there are so many hopes in LG's BFI or BFI in general.. Panasonic and Sony OLEDs from last year include BFI and it is practically unusable due to horrible flicker according to all reviews..

9. Mackan1

Mackan1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      once you find a 2018 TV at the price you are will to pay. should you then wait for the 2019 TV and so on.

My rule is. IF my TV is working it does not get replaced but when it does get replaced I try and get the best spec at the time normally wait to around Xmass/newyear when looking. and they have/are about to announce the new TV setup but i know they are going to be top ££ till the following Xmass/new year

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    10. lloydread

lloydread

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +252
      with the bigger red subpixel in the 2018 model Burn In of Red might not be so much of a worry.

11. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,561
      Although there are a few that are waiting for 2019 models when hdmi 2.1 should be implemented ;) (not looking for a why wait for 2.1 discussion when most can be done with 2.0b)

12. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +259
      HDMI 2.1 will be great for PC gamers.

13. BRAKKUS1

BRAKKUS1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,872
      Looks great for side scrolling 60hz gaming though, I used to love it on the W905a, even though impulse mode was very aggressive.

14. george1976

george1976

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +99
      I wouldn't wait for 2018. IF you really want to wait, then 2019 is the year, new HDMI and Earc.
      The vast majority of motion processing get turned off anyway don't they? So why wait?

15. pppp1

pppp1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      Will there be one with both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision in 2018? If one of the two which one?
      What if I have Dolby Vision content and an HDR10+ TV or vice versa? Will the content just not play?

And what about the latest HDMI (2.1?) with eARC and 120fps 4K? Will that be a deal breaker in 2-3 years if not available?

I don't buy TVs often and don't want to buy one that would be obsolete soon.

16. george1976

george1976

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +99
      HDR10+ and Dolby debacle will go on for a few years I think, I believe both will be around in the next 3 years, if your TV won't support one of them will not make use of the dynamic metadata.
      120fps is still in the future IMO.
      Like I said, if you can wait 2019 can be a good year. I just got a 55B7 and that will last me for the next 4-5 years when I plan on upgrading again :)

17. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,615
      I'm looking at a new set soon, 65".

LG currently £2,500, was £3,500 when released.

BFI attracts me, though there's always a chance it won't work, by which I mean flicker makes it unusable.

So I have a question, as I haven't followed this too closely.

Based on what's happened in the past, when will the 2018 models appear, and how long will it take a 65" to drop from £3,500 to £2,500 ?

18. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +387
      Haha what’s Flad is it a new technology.
      You can wait forever so just take the plunge when your ready my E7 is the best tv I’ve ever seen I’m so glad I got it.No motion issues with my eyes not seen any stutter in 4 months and no bands and no tint so always judge with your own eyes and don’t buy on a recommendation from someone else.Also don’t let any problems people post put you off as our eyes don’t all see the same and some people seem more sensitive to motion than others so the stutter one person sees may never affect you just like me.
      2017 oleds are excellent but 2018 prices won’t be at there lowest until November so that’s 9 or 10 months to wait and then 2019 models will have been shown with probably hdmi 2.1 and on and on the wait goes.Get one as soon as you can and you’ll be amazed but if not you have 21 days to send it back so I’d try one if I was you now and live for today and enjoy it.

19. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +699
      Personally think you should buy a 2017 model now at a good price and then wait for 2019 models in view of the small step changes at this year's CES.

20. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +706
      I don't think any TV will support HDR10+ and DV this year, maybe not ever.

2.1 isn't going to be a deal breaker, in reality it offers little. Many things like eArc are possible on HDMI 2.0.
      It is possible that some TVs could get an update to support things like eArc (AFAIK no 2018 set is launching with it), but it isn't guaranteed.

The 2017 LG sets have just increased in price, this is no doubt so they can reduce the price again in a week or two and mark them as "on sale", so you don't need to rush in to anything.

21. jfh24

jfh24
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      So no one thinks that the 2018 LGs having auto calibration with CalMan calibration software by SpectraCal is worth waiting for? If you plan on having your 2017 LG calibrated professionally, you might be able to eliminate that cost, thus making price comparison more favorable. Personally I'm waiting till the 2018 is released and the auto calibration is reviewed. With differences between OLED panels, calibration could make a significant difference in picture quality.

22. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,295
      What’s the point of waiting nearly a year? Then the next ones will be on the horizon and you’ll never buy anything if you are always waiting for the new model.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    23. lgans316

lgans316
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,917
      So the only true upgrade on entire 2018 OLED range comes from LG in the form of Black Frame Insertion? Is that it? No 1000+ nits peak brightness or reduced screen burn?

24. raymondo77

raymondo77
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,778
      You still need to buy the software, meter and pattern generator. Which - unless you already have those - will likely exceed the cost of a professional calibration by quite some margin.

That aside it's definitely a feature I'm interested in, and will take a lot of the pain out of calibrating the set for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    25. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      You can buy brand new 2017 set even around June so I think it's worth to wait for the 2018 sets. Reviews will come around april, also owners too. That's just 2 months and if they are nothing special just buy the 2017 set then.

But the biggest reason to wait is not the performance, it's the price. Let's assume the C8 price will be the same as last year then the B8 will be noticeably lower which could be close to the current B7 price. Yes it's a renamed C7 with the renamed M16P SoC but if the launch price will be not too far from the current B7 price then worth to pick it for the new features

26. Earthscope

Earthscope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,066
      I think it is worth waiting for.
      The (auto CalMan /3D LUT) is a fantastic addition from LG this year. And will help the pro calibrators by some margin to speed up the process. Plus it's good for the amateur as well who has some of the more basic calibration light meters, equipment, etc...

Although I think to get the best out of the new software It's still going to be worth getting a professional calibrator with years of experience like Jules to calibrate with the new auto CalMan. As I have no intention of spending the £20,000 worth of high end calibration equipment he brings with him...:eek::laugh: He will be doing my new 77" C8 thats for sure. And worth every penny of the £260.00 fee.
      Also the new A9 processor should offer considerable refinements to the picture performance on the new C8/E8/G8 and W range this year over the 2017 models. Plus the reviews will be coming in soon which will give you a much better idea of the performance difference on the 2018 compared to the 2017. That will also help to make the decision easier.

For me it is indeed worth waiting rather than going for a 2017 now...:)

Also I see mention of burn in on this thread. I have never seen any sign of burn in or retention on my G6 OLED. If used sensible this should not be an issue.. And not something I worry about.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    27. Anton2015

Anton2015
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,669
      I’m sure I read that the auto Cal feature will actually slow down the process and not speed it up lol. There’s so many adjustments that the process will take much longer even though it’s automatic.

Have they announced the price yet of the new 77” C8?

I recently bought the 77”G7 for a great price but I am curious to see what the pricing comes in at. All I saw from LG was a quote saying it will still be ‘expensive’.

Also agree about a professional calibration to get the best out of it, Vincent Teoh recently did mine and it was a no brainier given the small fee compared to the overall cost!

28. Earthscope

Earthscope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,066
      I spoke to Jules regarding AutoCal and he said it will help speed up his time spent quite a bit for calibration. He sees it as speeding up his work flow not extending it.
      I'll take his word over any article I might read.
      We shall see... I'm sure the guys here when the sets start arriving for review will let us know how much a difference it makes.
      Also I'm sure while still expensive the 77" C8 will be within my price range by Black Friday this year when I plan to move my G6 into the master bedroom...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    29. Anton2015

Anton2015
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,669
      Ahhh I think it was someone posting something over on AVSforum and some of those guys do seem to over complicate things lol

Black Friday deals were insane this year.

It will be interesting to see what the prices are when they are announced.

I know a lot of people are hoping to see the 77”C8 reach around £5k by Black Friday given the 77”G7 was around £7.5k this year.

Seems reasonable.

Plenty to look forward to [emoji1303]

30. Earthscope

Earthscope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,066
      Yes the guys over at avs forum can be a little over zealous at times. And that's putting it politely...:laugh:
      You certainly did get a cracking deal on your G7, it's a beauty...:love::thumbsup:
      Nice to see another MK fan as well.... Some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard (Worked with)being a Sound engineer/producer, in my line of work, next to Genelec....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018