• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

should i wait for ps3 or get a 360

weaponx_uk2003

not to sure what to do after reading lots about the problems with the core and blu ray. should i still wait and get a ps3 or will there be loads of problems like there seemed to be with the 360. or do i get a 360 or do i wait and get the new 360 with faster cpu and built in HD DVD ( if that is really gonna happen).

so dont know what to do.

at first i was gonna get one as i love playing the smackdown games on ps2 but now see the next one will be on both ps3 and 360.

WHAT DO I DO ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I'd get a 360 now, it's an awesome machine, you can get some new games for £20 from play-asia, xbox live is fantastic and it's just as powerful as the PS3 so why wait? And I had no problems with mine either...

sleepylaser

Well I just looked into the future... :rolleyes:

Who knows how launch will turn out- typically all early adopters in any new tech face higher failure rates whilst the manufacturing processes get ironed out. But the majority of buyers will still get fully functioning units, and who knows- maybe sony will pull off an even lower failure rate (it's just a gamble).

As to comparative value of the machine- well that's down to you. Do you want wireless, bigger hdd, cheap BD drive (do your own research into BD vs HDDVD)? Would you rather play Warhawk and Resisitance, or Forza 2 and Gears of War.

Why not just add up the costs of the different things you want to buy then see if you have enough to buy whichever option.

You're crazy for asking us :rotfl:

stlic

I would wait. After all it's only likely to be a few months now. If there's something that your desperately attracted to on the 360 then go for it, if not then hold out. Personally, I've got a funny feeling that when all the dust is settled the PS3 will be king of the hill once again with all the vast range of games that that entails and the Wii will be second. The practical failure of the 360 in Japan is going to hurt in the long term.

As a stop gap be my guest but I've been decidely underwhelmed with the 360. In the US it will go toe to toe with the PS3 but in Japan it will be destroyed and Europe will see PS3 performing better too.

After saying all that I'll probably grab a Wii and stick to my PC for everything else.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Forget the consoles. Just think about the games. What games do you want to play?

PS3: Metal Gear Solid 3, Gran Turismo and no doubt alot of jap rpg games.

Xbox 360: Halo 3, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Oblivion, Saints Row, Project Gotham Racing 3.

Multiformat titles: Grand Theft Auto IV, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Call of Duty 3.

I myself did intend to buy a PS3 at £300, but I will wait til it drops to £200 and by then it may have better exclusives. The only thing that stopped me from getting a launch PS3 is WWE SD v Raw going multiformat, the fact that GTAIV is now multi is even better. the one titles that Sony has left IMHO that appeals to me is MGS4. I have still yet to buy MGS3 on PS2 as it released around the same time as Halo 2 so I never had time for it.

I am sure Sony will do well in Japan. These are my guestimates...

Europe:
1: Xbox 360
2: Wii
3. PS3

America:
1: Xbox 360
2: PS3
3: Wii

Japan:
PS3
Wii
Xbox 360

Kahled

Like WayneJ says your decision should probably hinge more on the games than the hardware, and since you seem to be open to one or the other platform then you are obviously not making BR or HD-DVD a fundament of your decision.

The PS3, if it lives up to its hype machine, is going to be a good games console and will feature certain titles that the 360 will not.

The 360 is already out and forgetting the comments of those with Sony blinkers is a good games platform, and it too offers, and will offer, titles not available to the PS3.

Reliability is a difficult one to assess because there are a number of people who have experienced problems with the 360, I personally have been okay in that regard (*touch wood*) but it cannot be doubted that there have been a good quantity of failures. The PS3 is not out yet so obviously a reliability comparrison cannot be made and it would be foolish to say that there will not be problems, a considerable amount of failures with early PS2's certainly shows that the Sony units are not infallible.

XBox Live is superb for online gaming and arcade is improving all the time with releases frequently appearing now, it is something tried and tested from the XBox days and improved into the 360 era. Sony's offering is as yet an unknown commodity and its effectiveness is a case of having to wait and see, certainly with such a complicated enterprise smooth sailing should not be taken for granted (Live has had quite a few upsets over the years and that is even with experienced hands at the helm so for someone trying to establish from starts well... *shrug*) The HD size of the 360 is pretty small compared to the 60GB PS3 but then if you have a home network and XP or MCE operating system then you really do not need any more than what it has, you just play games streaming music from the PC rather than locally stored games (certainly no apparent detriment in doing so).

Games certainly but also factor in your patience, the 360 is out there and offers a number of excellent titles to buy and play now (of course there are also some mediocre and even poor titles). This afternoon you could go out and buy a 360 and five or six great games and be playing tonight against players all over the world. The PS3 is out November and even then it's launch lineup is pretty weak, it will be a number of months before you really start to see more than one or two quality gaming titles. So how patient are you?

If you are patient enough then I would advise waiting until six months after the PS3 launch and then decide which looks the best, by that time having some idea of the reliability of the hardware and what its online service is like. If you are not that patient then just go with the 360 and start saving to buy the PS3 later.

It is the nature of the games industry these days that both systems will share far more common games titles than exclusive titles, so in terms of games it is more the small number of exclusives than the majority of titles of interest.

Anyway good luck with your choice.

runam0k

I'll be trying out the PS3 because, let's face it, it's PS f'in 3... It's bound to be good. BUT Xbox 360 does it all. And it's doing it right now. With games like Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Gears, PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER, etc right around the corner.

I bought a 360 thinking I'd likely end up selling it on eBay and upgrading to a PS3 (since I don't really have time for both + a DS :)). More and more it's looking like I'll keep the 360. It's an awesome machine, Live is amazing and the games will almost certainly match anything PS3 has to offer. And I can't imagine going back to a PS controller...

Anyway, my point being splash out, Jump In, enjoy yourself, try everything 360 has to offer. Especially with the big games hitting. Then, if Forza, etc isn't enough, worse case scenario you lose a few £ switching to PS3.

WelshBluebird

stlic said:
I think your kiddin' yourself there but we'll see.

agreed.
I can't see sony going from how far infornt they were with the PS2, to last. I can easlity see them loosing market share because of the price, but It just seems too far fetched for them to go from no.1 to no.3 IMHO.

but yea, base your choice of the system on the games, not the console.

Rian1988

Or if you've got the cash buy both! Or buy the x360 now, and if you don't like it and you see the ps3 sell it and buy the ps3.

Bilbob

I think, in the short term at least, this is accurate.

Once the PS3 has had a few price cuts, with the base model down to say, below 250, maybe 200, then we might see it catch up.

Obviously, the PS3 has a huge margin to make up on the 360, and it will probably take a big chunk out of that quickly, with the 'must haves' buying it.
The Wii will have a slower start, as it doesn't have the kudos of the PS brand, but it will sell more to non-hardcore gamers., so I reckon it'll sell as many possibly, in the first year. After that, unless the PS3 really shines after the initial rush, then I see the xbox and the and the Wii being the longer term sellers, if price differences are maintained.
Oops, forgot to add! Yep, buy a 360 now, why wait 4 months and miss out on some great stuff? If the PS3 gets launched and it has the games you wanna play, sell the 360 and get that!

triplea4uk

Even with the high price tag the PS3 will be out on top dure to they have way to many fanboys but the gap will be not as big as it was before.

If I had that money to spend I would just get a xb360 its out now so you will get 3+ months of gaming out of it even before the PS3 is out and its half the price so you got that cash to spend on other stuff or loads of games.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
stlic said:
I think your kiddin' yourself there but we'll see.
Well noone can be certain. But you have to understand that as far as so called "PS fanboy's" go, the majority of them are at the end of the day young teenagers and no doubt they will want a PS3 but do you think mummy and daddy are likely to spend over £400 for a console with no games? I don't.

I can see the PS3 getting off to a rather slow start if Sony indeed launch at their current price of £425 - pre-orders will sell to those die-hard fans, but I think this is more for getting a cheap BR player and not a games console.

Though as time goes by I do feel Sony will catch back up over the next 24 mths. But if they launch their premium PS3 at the standard £300 then they will likely have a great start regardless of the launch line-up.

I stand by my guestimates for the first 24mths if the PS3 stays at £425. Though over a long period of time I can see the PS3 gaining more and more ground as it gets more exclusive titles, but this is down to Sony and how well they implement their online features also.

I at this moment in time won't even consider getting a PS3 until its around £200, as theirs just not enough titles that interest me to warrant the +£400 price tag.
The console war for us is not about the consoles it is about what is best for us the gamers. I just don't see why anybody would buy a PS3 on day 1, unless their buying it for the purpose of a next gen dvd format. If they are buying it for a gaming console I advise them to wait and weigh up the competition and make your mind up and see what exclusive and third party games are on offer on both consoles.

That was my 2 cent or p i mean :suicide:

markmitt

Well I would say that as you haven't got a 360 yet, then get one. Games such as Mass Effect and Gears of War are exclusive and look awesome TBH.
Then get PS3 when that comes out if you want it... To be fair I knew before they were released that I would get both, so I got the 360 on launch, which has given me more time to save the necessary pennies for the imminent arrival of PS3.

Your choice though at the end of the day...

WelshBluebird

one thing I think people are forgetting.
There are two versions. One which is only 50 quid more than what the PS1 and PS2 were at launch.

The only reason IMHO that the PS3 seems so much is that the 360 is a bargain. If the 360 cost £300, then the PS3 would suddenly not seem so much (as the cheaper version is £350 odd quid).

This is one area MS has got spot on - the bargain price of the 360.

C225

Distinguished Member
I would have to go with what other people are saying and base your choice on the games that you prefer. That is what i did and bought the xbox 360 and will be getting a nintendo wii when it is released.
The PS3 only had a couple of games i wold want whereas the 360 had a lot more games that i liked and i just like the look of the wii.
IMO i think the wii will do the best out of all the consoles.
Anyway the choice is yours only you know what you really want

stlic

Waynej said:
Well noone can be certain. But you have to understand that as far as so called "PS fanboy's" go, the majority of them are at the end of the day young teenagers and no doubt they will want a PS3 but do you think mummy and daddy are likely to spend over £400 for a console with no games? I don't.

I can see the PS3 getting off to a rather slow start if Sony indeed launch at their current price of £425 - pre-orders will sell to those die-hard fans, but I think this is more for getting a cheap BR player and not a games console.

Though as time goes by I do feel Sony will catch back up over the next 24 mths. But if they launch their premium PS3 at the standard £300 then they will likely have a great start regardless of the launch line-up.

I stand by my guestimates for the first 24mths if the PS3 stays at £425. Though over a long period of time I can see the PS3 gaining more and more ground as it gets more exclusive titles, but this is down to Sony and how well they implement their online features also.

I at this moment in time won't even consider getting a PS3 until its around £200, as theirs just not enough titles that interest me to warrant the +£400 price tag.
The console war for us is not about the consoles it is about what is best for us the gamers. I just don't see why anybody would buy a PS3 on day 1, unless their buying it for the purpose of a next gen dvd format. If they are buying it for a gaming console I advise them to wait and weigh up the competition and make your mind up and see what exclusive and third party games are on offer on both consoles.

That was my 2 cent or p i mean :suicide:

I hear ya. The thing is to the general public (read: people who do no post on internet forums) the PS3 is undisputed King. Similar to the A64 and P4 battle of the past few years. We all knew what gave better performance but to the guy on the street Intel was and still is all they want. I would argue with people that having a chip running at 3.0Ghz does not mean that it is automatically faster than a chip running at 2.4 but do they listen?

From what I've gathered this vast majority are set on getting a PS3 regardless and the 360 has done little to dent that. The US may be a different region but in Japan and Europe the rise of the PS3 will be rapid. You can argue all you want about how capable the 360 is and the range of titles but at the end of the day I don't think MS have done enough to change the mass mindset.

I have to say my personal reason for not buying the 360 is far more shallow, it's simply too loud for my liking. Be it the drive of the fans, for me it's unlivable. I think the Dreamcast/360 comparisions are sound and will prove true in the long term. Now I would really like Wii to suceed in the same way DS competes with the PSP, this is more likely than 360 competing at the PS3 level.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
WelshBluebird said:
If the 360 cost £300, then the PS3 would suddenly not seem so much (as the cheaper version is £350 odd quid).

Ah but the cheaper model from what I'v read is not even being released in Europe - which I don't mind as I'd want the Premium if I wanted one anyway.

It seems sort of blunt to release a cheaper model (US/Japan) with features cut and not having the option to make it exactly the same as the Premium down the road if the user should wish to do so.

bishman

stlic said:
I hear ya. The thing is to the general public (read: people who do no post on internet forums) the PS3 is undisputed King. Similar to the A64 and P4 battle of the past few years.
Do you think that will still apply when they see £280 v £425 and games at £45-50 v games at £55-£60 with similar performance?

WelshBluebird

Waynej said:
Ah but the cheaper model from what I'v read is not even being released in Europe - which I don't mind as I'd want the Premium if I wanted one anyway.

It seems sort of blunt to release a cheaper model (US/Japan) with features cut and not having the option to make it exactly the same as the Premium down the road if the user should wish to do so.

All that I've seen saying we won't get the chreaper model, is that gamestation said so (even tho the cheaper model is listen on their site), a few websites with rumours (which started from gamestation), and a sony spokesman saying we may not get the cheaper model, but nothing is confirmed.

And the latest I've read is that we will get it, but not at launch.

stlic

bishman said:
Do you think that will still apply when they see £280 v £425 and games at £45-50 v games at £55-£60 with similar performance?

Absolutely. Using the same comparison Intel always tended to charge a premium which had the opposite effect to what you would expect, instead inferring that you were paying more for a premium product. Sony is hoping to have the same effect.

It's a sad fact that the vast majority of the general public (inc. mass gamers) do not know the intricate details about different products and instead rely on superficial keywords and branding to make their decision. If you've ever had the pleasure (or misfortune) of working in electrical retail you'd know the same; group think is a powerful force.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom