1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I wait for 1920 x 1080 resolution on a 32 inch LCD screen or buy now?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MikeGr, Oct 28, 2004.

1. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having thought that I was ready to buy my first 32 or 37 inch LCD screen, people started pointing out that the 1366 x 768 screens have black borders with certain inputs. There was hope that the 1920 x 1080 resolution would eliminate them and it was assumed that these screens were just around the corner.

This raises several questions:
    1. Are the borders caused by DVDs not being at 16 x 9?
    2. Are current widescreen broadcasts 16 x 9?
    3. What standard have America adopted?
    4. What is Europe and most importantly Sky likely to use?
    5. Will the higher resolution screen (of same pixel ratio) make any difference to the borders around the edges?
    6. Is there a good reason based on above or otherwise to wait for the 1920 x 1080 screens?
    7. Are the 1920 x 1080 resolution screens just around the corner for 32 inch size panels?
    8. Sharp's supersize screens are already supposed to use this resolution. Has anyone seen one of these?
    9. Using an HDMI/HDCP DVD Player, dot-for-dot what resolution is coming through?

I think that's enough questions for one day!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    See my response below:

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you'd struggle to notice any difference between 1366x768 and 1920x1080 on a 32" screen, especially from a distance. I would say that a 32" 1080 panel could possibly be overkill so wouldn't bother waiting.

4. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes Ginger, you're right about the viewing distance. But 1366x768 is 1 Megapixel, and 1920x1080 is 2 Megapixels. The extra resolution is really useful if you want a screen to use as a high resolution PC monitor as well. If you take digital photographs, there aren't many cameras with less than 2 Megapixels these days.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If your into hi resolution digital screens for PC use, you will need dual link DVI for anything of 1600x1200 and above. I don't know how common these are yet in the PC world.

7. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, I may have asked you this before, but when you run 720p from your DVD player to your Xelos does it display in a bordered window? I would expect so coming dot-for-dot over DVI.

If that's the case, does your Xelos then allow you to zoom the input to full-screen even though it's a digital feed? I thought that pure digital DVI signals 'disabled' a lot of a screens processing as it's intended as a pure feed... In which case I guess there's two sets of scaling going on - inside your scaling DVD player and then in the screen. Does this cause problems?

8. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I'd wait (or at least, that's what I'm doing). Already in the US they're selling 37" 1920x1080 LCD TVs which is true HDTV. I'd say there's a good chance that at the next product cycle changeover that someone will launch one in the UK. Already Sharp has a 45" model in the UK at this res. See my new post on the US models.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    John

In 720p I have two options. With the Xelos scaler in 'original' mode, I get a border with a centralised image, the difference betwen 1366x768 and 1280x720. 'Original' mode is the same as 'dot for dot' mode on the Sharps, but, unlike the Sharp G series, there is no differentiation between PC and AV sources, they are all handled the same. If I set the Xelos scaler to '16:9' mode, assuming a 16:9 source, the picture goes full screen. If its 2.35:1, ie some films, then it goes full width, but is letterboxed, the difference between 16:9 aspect ration and 2.35:1. When using DVI-I input, both analogue (VGA/XGA input) and digital (DVI input), the Xelos also provides '4:3' mode and 'zoom'. In 4:3 mode, the picture goes 4:3 with top and side bars, in zoom mode, the image is zoomed in, but not enough to get rid of the letterbox in 2.35:1 sources. I think this may be configurable in the service menu but I am not sure. Currently it is set to 10, which appears to correlate to 10%, which is the standard safe area for some material.

NB: When using analogue VGA/XGA mode over the DVI-I input, some extra picture tweaks are available, such as position, phase, input lines and pixels. In Digital DVI mode, only input lines and pixels is adjustable. These settings are to allow non standard input resolutions to be handled.

As for scaling. Yes, you are correct that in 16:9 mode, double scaling will be taking place. My DVD player has a high quality scaler that would be pushing the quality of decent standalone scalers, but not with the same flexibility. You can see a visible difference, between 16:9 and original mode, but we are talking minimal that at any viewing other than face in the screen would not be visible. I would still rate the picture as excellent. I have fingers crossed that my DVD manufacturers will allow manual setting of the scaler, and I can attempt 1366x768 that this panel is apparently capable of.

-Ian

10. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I hope you have success with this dream flexible manufacturer!

Thanks again for the info. I agree with you that the Loewe are the best thought-out of all the current models and I only wish their equivalent of Pixel Plus was on this generation of screens. You've made a good choice though. I'm watching them closely...