1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use THX processing with non THX amps/speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AOD, Dec 16, 2002.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently got my mits on a TAG AV32R and am chuffed to bits with the sound etc. However there is one question that's niggling away at the back of my mind.

From what I've read, I understand some of what THX processing is intended to acheive. Things such as taming the centre channel treble, timbre matching, de-correlation (spelling?) etc. Basically making sure that the sound is appropriately modified for a domestic environment.

What I'm wondering is whether I should engage the THX processing even though the rest of my kit isn't THX certified? The supposed sonic benefits sound worthwhile, even if say the dispersion characteristics of my main speakers (Kef Q50 and Reference Model 100) don't fall within THX guidelines.

Before anyone says "try it and see what you prefer", I would point out that yes I will do just that, but that I would value comments and suggestions from other with a similar situation.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    There´s no reason why you can´t engage THX processing if your speakers aren´t THX rated. It is down to personal preference as to whether you like the effect of it though. I´ve used it with both THX & non-THX rated speakers.

For me, it depends what mood I´m in and on the film track, sometimes I´ll use it, other times I won´t. Its particularly handy with "bright" soundtracks. THX Ultra 2 Cine is very good at dispersing the sound from the left & right surrounds even if you are using direct radiators and not dipoles.

I´m afraid its a case of trying it out, not what you want to hear, but its the only thing I can suggest!:)