1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use prog scan with an ALIS plasma ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dUnKle, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Was happy that my Sony NS930 player outputting prog scan to my 5200 set was a good combination

However whilst in local store a guy was saying that I should not be using a prog scan player with an Alis set

Is this correct

If so what would be the best DVD player to use with my set

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    no he's not correct, your doing the right thing by feeding it a progressive signal, as the dvd player will have a film mode deinterlacer and the display probably won't. if you were to feed it an interlaced signal, it would be deinterlaced by the display's electronics (probably using simple bob mode), upscaled to the native resolution of the display and then reinterlaced at high resolution.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It depends on DVD player, I have more experience withFujitsu Alis panels which have very good video processing. feeding them an interlaced signal works very well. Alis is strictly interlaced, but alternatitive lighting of surfaces. Have aplay switching between the 2 and see what looks better.

4. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    Just a quick comment, I have a Pioneer737 that I connected and played back a R1 disc in progressive (dinosaur) and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference between it or playback via SonyS7700 (non prog) through my Fujitsu ALiS panel which ties up with hornydragon's post.
    To be fair I think it would be a task to improve upon the image when fed a good source as I'm very happy with the display...
    As posted try out the options and you make the decision based on the results you see, at the end of the day it's you who's going to be watching it...sometimes there are too many 'experts' out there methinks;)
    Andrew

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Same here. My Pioneer DV-668AV shows no difference in quality on my Hitachi ALIS panel when progressive is either switched on or off.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Alis panels dont get the advantages of normal panels, ie a better deinterlacer in the player than panel, as the screen still has a lot of processing to do!

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It makes a considerable difference when the screen is a Sony (Alis), I suppose that means that the video processing eletronics in a Sony is different.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    some screens do better at processing Prog to Alis than interlaced to alis. and vice versa. the complex bit is getting video 1024x576 and 853x480 to fit into 1024x1024 then apply Alis! Its a very complex system!