Should I use Moca Adapters or try to replace coax with ethernet?

alexhunt

Novice Member
Reaction score
I moved into a UK house built in 1995. It's not wired for Ethernet but most rooms have Coax. The Coax is all joined together at an amplifier in the attic. (see: )

I don't think running new Ethernet would be easy since its dab and plaster walls.

Previous to me moving in the tenant had satellite TV installed. It looks like the installer used the old coax to install new satellite cable ()

My question is should I just use Moca Adapters (they are strangely hard to buy in UK and I would need to import from Europe) or should I try and use the old coax routes to put new ethernet. I'm not sure if this will work or if it will snag on plaster dabs etc.

Thanks!!

I think the same set up for a switch with ethernet would be a good move.

The Moca adaptors (we used to call them Balams back in the day) are something you should avoid if you can. Its just another way of introducing issues losses and limitations in speed an bandwidth.

I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if your could run ethernet cables on the same run as the current coax that would be your best (but perhaps not easiest) option connectivity wise. Pulling the cables through may or may not be possible depending on how they were laid (loose or secured) and how much access you have. If it is possible, pulling new cable through using the old one (attaching the new one to the end) is what I'd try, though this, like a journey through the jungle, would be an adventurous undertaking, snags and hiccups abounding along the way.

I'm not a fan of using existing non purposed cabling to transfer data, but I know sometimes you have to make do.

Personally if you can't lay the proper cables, I'd not use these Moca dapators. I'd just use powerline ethernet adaptors. They are easy to come by, are fairly well established technology, and a fairly cheap alternative that you are almost certain will just work out the box. I can't say the same for these Moca things which were never the most reliable way transfer data, are rarer than high end graphics cards, and have a very small sphere of experts to draw knowledge from... should you hit problems.

Last edited:
Moca are I think mostly used in USA, you can see review of new model here. I used them long ago and wasn't impressed but comments in YT video seems it has gotten better.

I think the same set up for a switch with ethernet would be a good move.

The Moca adaptors (we used to call them Balams back in the day) are something you should avoid if you can. Its just another way of introducing issues losses and limitations in speed an bandwidth.

I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if your could run ethernet cables on the same run as the current coax that would be your best (but perhaps not easiest) option connectivity wise. Pulling the cables through may or may not be possible depending on how they were laid (loose or secured) and how much access you have. If it is possible, pulling new cable through using the old one (attaching the new one to the end) is what I'd try, though this, like a journey through the jungle, would be an adventurous undertaking snags and hiccups abounding along the way.

I'm not a fan of using existing non purposed cabling to transfer data, but I know sometimes you have to make do.

Personally if you can't lay the proper cables, I'd not use these Moca dapators. I'd just use powerline ethernet adaptors. They are easy to come by, are fairly well established technology, and a fairly cheap alternative that you are almost certain will just work out the box. I can't say the same for these Moca things which were never the most reliable way transfer data, are rarer than high end graphics cards, and have a very small sphere of experts to draw knowledge from.
I agree with jimscreechy that the ideal way is to pull ethernet if you can. However, wanted to give you the benefit of my experience. I started out using powerline and I am now using MoCA with great success.

Powerline performance varies greatly with the quality/age of the wiring and whether or not you need to cross the distribution box. It worked very well in my previous residence, but very poorly in my current one. Keep in mind that you will never get the advertised (e.g. AV1200) speed. I was able to get about 100mbps from mine, which was adequate for streaming. In the new place, I barely got 30mbps, I believe because it crossed the distribution box

I am currently using an Actiontec MoCA 2.0 kit over a coax run of about 15 or so metres (repurposed cable TV run, not sure if distance is relevant). I have measured gigabit speed via iperf from end to end through switches on either end. The following is important to note:
1. It is designed to work with cable tv will not work if you have satellite TV on the same cables as the frequencies used for data transfer are the same as those used for satellite TV;
2. This wasn't an issue for me but it works better with the newer RG6 coax standard rather than the older RG59;
3. Assuming these are not already in place, you'll have to replace any splitters with MoCA compatible ones. Try to keep runs as straight as possible i.e. limit the splitting as much as possible;
4. If you have coax from your cable/internet provider coming into your house you'll need to put a coax filter on to prevent leakage of network traffic out of your house;
5. It's relatively expensive if you buy them and they don't work.

Indeed!

Yes and to be honest I think the coax route is just too much trouble, as I said, unless you have no choice. The older RG59 was ok for short run video signals but struggled thereafter. The RG6 is newer better shielded alternative.

There are other considerations with coax that just make it a pain. Unlike the relatively clear ethernet standards, the coax are a hassle to deal with all of there own, and you'd better make sure you get the right Moca's for the cabless you have.

There are at least a dozen coax standards still in operation just for domestic use and even though they all mostly do the same thing they all have their different characteristics. Even identifying cables, especially if they're old and the markings faded can be a challenge.

Impedance mismatch is always a problematic if not a show stopper, especially over long runs. Most cables tend to be 75 Ohm for cable and satelite, but I've seen installs with loads of different types, grades and impedances mixed, especially in DIY setups where individuals have just gone and bought a roll of Coax and assumed it would 'do the job' just fine.

Finally if you use coax you would need to get rid of the amplifier/splitter and replace it with a switch in order for it to work properly. So a switch plus two Mocas for each cable (one at each end) starts to increase your cost; with no real performance guarantee beforehand. All this as opposed to just a switch in the attic for ethernet. Though not as good as ethernet, the powerline route would at least save you some cost since there are some multiport kits available.

Perhaps WiFi is a better alternative to persue.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom