should i use DTS for SD TV?

OBigO

Standard Member
Hi! I am new to all this and have just bought the Onkyo 606 and kef home theatre 2000 - I have my virgin cable box connected to my receiver through two phono leads. Should i only be using the DTS and Pro Logic for DVD's or is it ok to use it all the time when watching SDTV? Basically it sounds pretty good to me but when i put my ear close to the rear two speakers i can hear weird interference over peoples voices - is this because the cable box isnt giving the correct signal for DTS?

Any advice would be much appreciated as i really dont know much about this...Should i be using different settings for watching films/football? If i had HDTV would i still have those noises close to the speakers?

Thansk again

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Use DD 5.1 for & DTS for DVD (depending on the disc format) & use Stereo or All Channel Stereo or PLII etc. for the TV & Virgin box you will not get any Digital formats via Phono. If you had HD TV via Sky or Virgin you can use an Optical lead to get DD 5.1 when it's available (some Movie channels etc.) the remaider will be in Vanila stereo.

y2k

Novice Member
Noting much to input but I get the same interference from the back speaker that I sit beside, I tried searching for info on here because I thought it was a problem with my amp, but did'nt find anything. Most of the time it sounds ok but some programs its makes a sort of hissing/echoing sound.

OBigO

Standard Member
ok thanks a lot! there is an optical out on my cable box should i use that? I am now using the PLII and can still hear a that weird noise when i put my ear close to the rear speakers but it is less than when i had it on DTS - Is there an auto option where it recognises the signal? Thanks

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
ok thanks a lot! there is an optical out on my cable box should i use that? I am now using the PLII and can still hear a that weird noise when i put my ear close to the rear speakers but it is less than when i had it on DTS - Is there an auto option where it recognises the signal? Thanks
Yes use the optical to gain 5.1 when available, sorry dont know about any noise from rear speakers, don't get it on my 875. Yes you can go into the menu & set up the initial settings for each input i.e cable/Sat > Analog/PCM enter stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 enter Dolby etc. & do the same for each input. then when a DD program comes through your virgin box it will auto go to DD 5.1. If you use optical don't forget to assign the optical input i.e if using cable/sat button assign Optical 1 to it assuming you have connected to optical 1. :)

PS. The sound you are hearing may be crosstalk in the Amp. which is usually down to amp. design i'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom