Should i use deep color for video games?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by tyrone burton, Sep 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tyrone burton

tyrone burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I know movies BD or DVD, don't use it, but do video games use it. I mean today's video games not the old ps2 or xbox, because they use 0-255 so maybe they use the deep Color? Am I right?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    As far as I know , no games use deep color , 0-255 is not an indication of deep color , that is the standard data range for RGB mastered content.

Likewise , the standard data range for YCbCr is 16-235. Most content is mastered as YCbCr and as such that is usually what most gear should be set to.

Note that 0-255 is 256 values , or 2^8 = 256 , and is commonly called 8 bit color , thats what everything is in now.

Deep color would propose either 2^10 or 2^12 or 2^16 for each channel , way way more than the standard 256 values.

Deep color content can be generated by some Camcorders , but that's about it as far as available content goes.

Deep color is one of those HDMI features , similar to Ethernet over HDMI , which will largely remain unused as it would need a change to the entire content and equipment supply chain.
    (i.e. Movies shot in / mastered to Blu ray in deep color and so on , the equipment all the way up the line from start to finish would need to be upgraded , and would cost millions if not Billions of Dollars , so its not going to happen !)

So No , you should not switch on Deep color if there no deep color content , it can cause issues.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. tyrone burton

tyrone burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks for that. But I should keep on 0-255 ( RGB full range) for today's games? And I'd keep it at 16-235 for the older ones.

4. tyrone burton

tyrone burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I don't mean deep Color for that question. You've already stated that it isn't used, but maybe someone here might know about this. Now what I've heard is that the older games consoles eg xbox, ps2, ps1 used 16-235, now today's games eg ps3,xbox 360, pc use 0-255 yes? Now I already know that video games have NO reference to calibrate to so set it how you want, what I was thinking for the older games consoles was to put in a BD calibration disc in my ps3, set the Color output to RGB and calibrate from there. Transfer the settings to the inputs my games consoles are connected to and done, so at least I've done something. Is this a good idea?