1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use bass manager, does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dekoded, Dec 31, 2004.

1. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have an AE AEGO P5 MK1 processor and speakers, I,ve had it for about a year now and considering what I paid (£300) and how small the speakers are I am generally very pleased with them.

My only negative points would be the surround effect, which as they are home theater speakers could be seen as a major problem! It's not that they sound bad it's just that they don't seem to create a very realistic surround sound.
    Maybe I'm asking too much for the size/price, or it might be because of the position or settings of the speakers.

I have tried pointing the rear speakers in different directions to try and improve the effects, and altered the delay and volume levels but something still doesn't sound right
    I have them positioned aprrox 6ft high on side walls slightly behind the main listening position facing each other (approx 12ft apart) the rear right is about 5ft from 'head' position and the rear left about 7ft when measured from front of speaker to 'head'.
    Now my main question (finally) is that in the owners manual it comments on the 'bass manager' settings and says that 'off' is the recomended setting. What I don't understand is that even when it's on it only redirects signals below 120hz to the sub, but the specification for the satellite speakers says:
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE- 200HZ - 15KHZ :confused: So surely there's not much point sending sounds below 120hz to them anyway!
    I have turned all bass/delay managment off in the menus of my dvd player (PIONEER DV565) and have it connected to the P5 via a decent COAX.

Has anybody got any help or ideas to clarify this for me? :lease:

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I guess that means nobody knows then...