1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use a AVR300 to bi-amp my A32?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Cameron, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I currently have an A32 for stereo duties. I am thinking of getting a AVR300 to replace my yam 630. Does anyone know whether bi-amping with a AVR300 will lower the sound quality of my A32?

I guess another use for the AVR300's 2 channels would be to bi-amp the center and leave 1 channel free to give my system more power?

I'm already using the b channel from my A32 to drive another room.

any ideas?

CaM

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Imagine this would be okay, but what about buying a P35 power amp, and the multi channel card for the A32?

Best bet is going to be to demo the kit and see what you think.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i know a demo would be best but it's quite a mission to organise both a A32 and AVR300. The problem with the multi-channel card is that I wouldn't get EX/ES or Pro Logic IIx.

thanks

CaM

4. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does anyone know if it is possible to bi-amp the center speaker by using one of the extra channels on the avr300?

thanks

CaM

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bumping to see if anyone has a A22/A32 with a AVR300 and is bi-amping them....

thanks

CaM

6. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi... How exactly would it be possible to bi-amp it?

I've been trying to work this out for ages.... :)

Are you saying use the pre-outs from the AVR300 to the A22/32 and then cables running back from the A32/22 into the pre-ins on the AVR300?

When the AVR300s pre-outs are in use doesn't it still send a signal to it's internal front power amps so even if you do this you will have the signal going through to the power amps section, and then having the signal come back in from the A22/32 into the same power amps?

If not then i've won a bet could I thought it sounded reasonable but my other half came up with some explanation saying it couldn't be done hehe!!

Or is this in a 5.1 setup and you can use the 6th and 7th channels to do it?

Cheers a slightly confoosed booktrunk, who maybe should read a manual on an AVR300 :)

Steff

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i have a demo with a avr300 tomorrow and I'm gonna bring my a32 along so I'll let you know in a couple of days ;)

CaM

8. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Cameron,

Sorry havent had time to vistit the forums for a while. The AVR300 cannot biamp the center channel the only biamp option is for the left and right channels.

In terms of sound quality the AVR300 is similar to but probably not quite as good as your A32 so you could use the processor mode on the A32 and feed L and R from the AVR300 preouputs to A32 to power the front channels leaving the AVR300 do do the centre and surrounds. If you want to know how to set up the processor mode please search the archive as this has been explained before. (if you can't find it PM me)

Regards,
    Andrew

9. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k, thanks for your reply :)

CaM

10. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So how did the test go... :)

Steff :hiya:

11. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....and here's a description of my AVR300 demo.

They had a DV79 hooked up to an AVR300 with Quad 22L's for the front 2 speakers. I first listened to a couple of music cd's I had bought along and the sound was very poor. (like the music was in some type of stadium mode)

After I complained they checked out the DV79. Apartenly it had DVD-Audio on and some other mode (PCM I think) and this was making it sound bad. They turned off those modes and it did sound much better. Still, we compared it to a CD73 and the CD73 seemed high end compared.

I also thought that my DVD88+ sounded better than the DV79 though aparently they were saying they are almost identical? While my A32 sounded better in stereo than the AVR300 it wasn't a night and day difference. I really wanted to bi-amp my A32 to the AVR300 but it turned out this couldn't be done as the AVR300 didn't have a pwr in only pwr out.

In the end that is all I managed to test as this took some time to figure out. I wasn't really interested in hearing the AVR300 for movies as I was certain it would sound far better than my Yam 630.

Things I learnt:

The Quad 22L's are lovely speakers.

The AVR300 is probably better than my A75+ for stereo though not as good as my A32.

The remote for the AVR300 is much nicer than the old arcam remotes though I couldn't seem to skip tracks on the DV79 with it - only cue forward.

The AVR300 looks quite nice :)

and I either need an AV amp with pwr in or I should buy a poweramp first as the AVR300 will only help me with movie tracks and not stereo.

CaM

12. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

I am supprised by your experience with the DV79 as our test here showed it to be better than a CD73 and about on par with a CD82. DO you know if the unit was brand new as the DV79 (Like most equipment) needs at least 40 hours of use before it really starts to sound at its best. So if the CD73 was a well run in unit and the DV79 was brand new out of the box this might explain it.

Best Regards,
    Andrew

13. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I would expect if anything that the CD73 would have been used more often than the DV79 but saying that they could have both been brand new.

The DV79 seemed to lack that low to mid end sound that I liked on the CD73 (and indeed on my DV88+). The Quad 22L's defiently revealed the differences btween the two.

CaM

14. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi again,

Just to say the the track forward back on the CR80 remote for DVD / CD operation is on the CH +/- keys.

Regards,
    Andrew

15. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Cameron,

Could you tell what dealer it was so we can get their DV79 checked.

Regards, Andrew

16. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sure, it was the helpful people at sevenoaks weybridge - James was the one helping me.

btw; wouldn't it have been more logical to put the forward/reverse track buttons by the play/pause etc.. on the AVR300 remote as I for one very rarely cue through a track but always seem to want to get to the next track....

thanks for your time.

CaM

17. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the Dealer info I will get our rep to talk to them and find out if there is a problem with the unit.

I totaly agree on the button assignment, unfortunatley the code set for all the other products that can be selected from the remote's internal memories, all expect cue rev on those buttons, so we were kind of stuck with it.

Regards,
    Andrew