1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tiesto, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Present set up is 4 years old now and comprises of a Sherwood rd6106 amp/receiver , Eltax liberty floor standers and centre with 2 bi polars, Eltax atomic 8.2 sub.
    I mainly use this set up for movies with a Toshiba projector, lately though i have been less than impressed with the movie soundtracks , i need to crank up the volume to about 75% of the amps output :eek:
    I have just disassembled all the cabling and made sure that all voltage carrying cable is not near the speaker cables (Gale XL 315 BI ) and took the gold plated banana plugs apart to remove any possible oxidation.
    Is it time for an upgrade on the amp ( whats the views on this amp?) or Speakers or go the whole nine yards and start saving.
    I really would appreciate input on this as when i first set this up it was my pride and joy ( dont laugh, i was on a strict wifey watching budget) :) :smashin:

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Tiesto,

My first kit was all Richer Sounds too!! :)

I would start saving as improving each little section won't bring about the changes you'd hope for.

A new amp and speaker set would be the way to go (depending on budget) and there's many suggestions regardless of budget on the forums. :smashin:

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i had almost the same kit!!! same amp, and im assuming liberty 5+'s? dont upgrade the libertys i tried better speakers with that amp, no better really, the amp is your weak spot. The upgrade i did was still richer sounds, the cambridge audio azur 540r, and it is in a different league to the sherwood. I couldnt believe it when i upgraded, as i thought the amp was good and that the "cheap" speakers were the problem, but a year on and i have no desire to upgrade the libertys.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ps when i had this amp i was a bit disappointed with the whole surround sound phenomenon, not hearing much from the rear effects etc. now i cant live without it! Everything is so much clearer and direct, no muddy dialogue that i use to get from the sherwood, and music, well, WOW.

5. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks lads :smashin: think i'll upgrade the amp first and hear how it goes, i quite like the Liberty speakers and more importantly so does the wife :D