1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by caleb, May 27, 2005.

1. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Opinions please and this will be taken seriously.

I bought a new AV32 Dual processor from Sevenoaks on my last visit to U.K about three weeks ago.

VERY HAPPY WITH IT!!

I am back to U.K in July and can have the upgrade to 7.1 with action switches etc for 400 quid.

Aside from the action switches which would be useful but not essential, the 7.1 would only be used when I add the rear surrounds.

Here is the question: -

Is the quality of staff doing the upgrades of a level that my unit won't come back "damaged by improvements?"

Don't forget we are here at the other side of the world so a quick trip down to Huntingdoom is not an option.

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You'd be lucky - they're too cretinous to figure out how to use a telephone. I've been waiting weeks for a returned call in response to a voicemail I left.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Does seem as if you've answered your own question there caleb!.....if I was in your situation,and only likely to use 7.1 occasionally,I simply wouldn't bother.....like you,I bought a 5.1 DP,and have no plans to upgrade it to something I simply don't require...we already have too many speakers and amps knocking about the room,and I wouldn't want to be without the AV32R,having found out how big an improvement it is over the old SP version.

4. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    "to be without the AV32R,having found out how big an improvement it is over the old SP version."
    I do wish people wouldnt say things like this...... :mad: :mad: :mad: :suicide:

5. Mike-D

Mike-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my 5.1DP is in Huntindon awaiting this very upgrade so I will let you know how they perform.

The price they gave me was £595 and the estimated turn around 4 weeks. They have had it just over a week.

All my correspondence with IAG has been by Email, and to be fair they have always sent a response by about mid day on the next working day. No complaints from me on that front.

6. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I do wish also, people wouldn't say so much better than the sp version

I am sure this has been asked before but how much better is the DP I realise TMRQ
    plays a big difference

I have one of the latest sp 7.1 with bypass etc purchased just before all the tag troubles

If you were looking to upgrade your processor , what other options would you consider
    as an alternative to the very expensive dp upgrade route

Do people believe I would have to look at very expensive processors eg. G68 from meridian
    Or is it likely say the new AVP700 due from arcam will be as good sound quality wise
    (much newer decoding chips/faster processing etc ??)

Or should we all wait for the next versions of DD and dts before thinking of changing
    our processors?

Lots of questions I know , I am happy with the sound at present and in no urgent rush
    to spend money, the video side of things via the processor does not matter to me
    just the audio.

For info using a mixture of ATC speakers centre active , rest powered By Chord and
    a huge SVS sub which i use a BFD with to "room correct" the low frequencys below120hz
    for the sub only.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The DP is a lot better than the SP. To get similar performance you you would be looking at Meridian etc. Try and think of an AV processor that has a properly implemented Parametric EQ system and then compare price for price. I think that the DP was and even more so now is a bargain considering its capabilities and performance :smashin: People moaned about its price when it was released, but that was rubbish it hasn't been up until the last year or so that a competitor has come up with a comparable specification at a similar price :) You cant under estimate the power of good EQ :D Also take into account its processing horsepower, its still matched by very few and even less around the same price. Then look at how it measures :D It's a no brainer really ;)

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I believe the Arcam AVP700 is based around the Cirrus Logic CS49400 decoder chip. This chip is a combination of old and new technology as it's two cores in one. The old bit (DSP AB) is the decoder and that's a pre-historic 24 bit DSP design that originally was a CS49300. The new bit (DSP C) is a more generic 32 bit processor and features as the new decoder in Cirrus Logics new processor, the CS49500. Technically 2x 21161N's have more processing power and also benefit from that handly 80 bit accumulator to implement high precision algorithms.

Most manufacturers stick with technology they've already used in previous products as it involves far less development effort and minimises the risk of having to get brand new (and typically buggy) chipsets to work properly. :eek:)

Saying all that it doesn't mean the Arcam doesn't sound as good, I'm sure it will be a competitive product.

9. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dealer told me once Arcam is well known for his great stereo products and totaly wrong choices of DSP for surround.

10. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well thanks for the input lads.

Aside from the action switches which would be really useful for turning on my Brystons from the TAG 32 I can't justify a reason for taking the kit back for upgrade.

BTW just on that point anyone got a suggestion as to how I could turn on the Brystons without the action switches?

They need a 12 volt input to switch then from standby to ON, the no 12 volts to go back to standby??

11. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I guess it is standard trigger thing, it gets 12V trigger and changes state.

12. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Caleb, tucked away here in California I was only able to get the non-action switch AV32R, and had the same desire to switch my Bryston 4BSST and lack of interest in shipping the AV to IAG. I was planning on putting together a little Xantech system, but it would have been far more complicated than I needed (lots of boxes - detector, module, switcher etc etc) so what I ended up doing was buying one of these devices instead:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=ICI1C

which is an infrared control interface. It is only available as a kit for $39.95, but I hadn't really done any soldering before and it only took a couple of hours to put together.

It gives you four on/off relay operated switches, each addressable by a dedicated remote control toggle command you teach it (ie it can learn four remote commands, one for each switch), and you choose whether you want each to "latch" (stay on) or just be momentary. It works from any AC or DC power source from 9-15V, so I used an old ansaphone power adapter at 12V and use the same power to provide the trigger power the 4BSST needs, switched by one of the outputs from the interface. My plan was to teach it the AV32R's on/off IR code, but it didn't seem to recognise that (it needs 38kHz IR - can't remember the TAG code), but I found several remotes around the house it would recognise and taught it one of those. I then added the learned on/off command to the programming of my Harmony remote so it automatically switches the Bryston on whenever the AV32R is on. The box is small and lives hidden away under the back end of my Quadraspire stand where it seems to pick up plenty of signal ( icovered over the annoyingly bright green LED).

The box uses nice chunky relays which click satisfyingly just like all my TAG gear and are rated at 5A at 120VAC (don't know about 230V - you'd have to ask them) so if I can't get the T32R eBay purchase I'm currently working on sorted out I'm planning on wiring the mains supply to my Musical Fidelity tuner, which doesn't have a remote standby command, through another of the switches on the box so my Harmony remote can switch that on and off too... (hey it's only Musical Fidelity!). Given the ability to configure the switch outputs as momentary contacts or latch them the box really is a versatile device.

By the way, if you are interested but don't have time/can't be bothered building it yourself, if you do a search on eBay.com for "Ramsey transmitter" you'll find a bunch of guys who build ramsey kits and I'm sure could be persuaded to send you a made up one at a reasonable price - they only seem to charge about $20 to build a radio transmitter which is said to take 5 times as long to build as this little kit.

Hope this is helpful.
    Kevin

13. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not just helpful Kevin - sounds perfect.

Visited the site you gave me and already ordered one.

Where would we be without a forum like this?

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The 7.1 upgrade will allow you to engage THX2 processing as well as full blooded PL2x.

15. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Are you saying that Ultra2/PL2x processing isn't enabled on a 5.1 DP and instead uses plain old Ultra/PL2?

I was under the impression that the newer formats were used on 5.1 dual processor boxes and that 7.1 support was just a subset of the more advanced features that the newer formats provided. In fact thinking about it, my DP (5.1) has boundary gain compensation enabled which is, I believe, an Ultra2 feature.

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    THX2 processing can only be engaged on a 7.1 speaker array, it will not be "in the menu" of selectable surround modes unless the processor thinks you have 7.1 speakers. It cannot be engaged even for 6.1.
    As i understand it some "components" of PL2x are utilised in a vanilla 5.1 set up but it is not the full suite as it were.
    Certainly on my 7.1 DP if i tell it i have 5.1 speakers then THX2 doesn't exist as an option and similarly PL2 is designated as PL2 only. When changing to 7.1 THX2 and PL2x are present and labelled as such along with PL2x Game etc.
    The boundary gain you speak of is actually a reduction rather than gain. It tells the processor that you have THX2 compliant subwoofer(s) present and is not part of THX2 processing as such. If i recall correctly it reduces gain at the lowest part of the frequency bandwidth (20hz or there abouts) to reduce potential boundary reinforcement due to close proximity of the sub(s)to a wall or corner (where the wall/corner acts as an extended baffle board if you like)
    Although my particular sub's are no shrinking violets at these frequencies i have always personally chosen not to engage this, using plain old TMREQ alone.

I rather like THX2 processing by the way and consider it a more than worthy alternative to the likes of Logic 7 etc.

Regards

Steven

17. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would'nt agree that THX Ultra2 is much use, I can't stand the HF roll off it applys to the LCR in movie mode, and in my opinion Ultra2 Music is stomped all over with regards to playback quality by PL2x ;) Just my opinion of course :)

18. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    :) circle of life i guess :)

19. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Caleb, my pleaure yes where would we be indeed without the forum? Such a great source and such good people! :clap: If you want any chat re hooking up the 12v trigger to the Bryston when you're ready to go, just pm me.

Kevin

PS in case you have the same problems i had finding compatible IR codes (I'm still not sure why it didn;t like the TAG AV32R on/off code - maybe the TAG isn't 38kHz?), the ones I'm using come from the Viewsonic cable TV tuner I use with a 19" LCD screen as a kitchen tv! Anyway, if you have as many remotes lying around as I have I'm sure you'll find one that's compatible.

20. Mike-D

Mike-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard today that it is ready for delivery. This is 4 weeks to the day. They didn't ask for payment until now so I really don't think I can have any complaints about the service.

21. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I use X10 controls (which uses your house's power circuits to send commands to plug in units) to power up my Krell/Rotel amps. I use an IR7243 to receive IR commands from my Pronto, http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=3428
    in conjunction with an appliance module http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=3389 into which I have plugged in a 12v power supply http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=19160&doy= which plugs into the 12v input no the back of the Krell, which has the Rotel daisy chained to it.

It all works very well, for about £60. In fact, I have a spare IR7243 lying around. If you're interested, I'll set up a FS in the classifieds.