Should i upgrade?

neenan

Standard Member
Hi Folks

I currently have a RX-V430RDS and Mission FS2-AV speakers. My question is if i upgrade the amp to a Denon 1610 will i notice a big difference?

Ive had the setup for years but im just not that impressed with it. So therefore im wondering should i upgrade the amp to the Denon or is it better to change the speakers?

Any help would be really appreciated :lease:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Given this spec;

Frequency Response ±3dB Speakers 285Hz-20kHz Subwoofer 48Hz -180Hz

God yes, upgrade the speakers, imo.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
No doubt that the denon 1610 would be a better receiver. It will also decode HD audio so you can get the best of a BD player or PS3 soundwise.

The denon is also similar to the yamaha in that it is also a warm sounding amp so there wont be too much difference in the type of sound you get.

Its a very amp, worth the purchase imo but if you give us a budget we an give more recommendations. I assume its around £300 as thats how muc the 1610 is going for roughly.

If you want a change in sound i.e. bright sound then either Onkyo 577 (or 607 if you can stretch to £335) or the sony strdn1000 are good purchases.

Getting a demo would give you the best idea. And yes, you're speakers would also benefit from an upgrade!!

Cheers

Saf

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would have to agree that the speakers are certainly a week point. If the responses are correct you have a fairly large hole in the lower range of the speakers and upper range of the sub. This is in the mid bass range (I think) and will certainly be impacting on the sound quality.
A new reciever will give you HD audio but it is not going to get around this deficiency.
I think spending £300 on better speakers would be a better option.

neenan

Standard Member
Gents

Thank you very much for the advice uts all really good info. Also sorry i haven't answered sooner its been crazy at work.

It was the 1610 amp i was looking at which looks very nice. However im gonna take your good advice of getting new speakers first. If i have a budget of £200 to £300 which ones do you think would be a good option?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 2010 are a great speaker for the price. With a bit of hunting around you may be able to find the older 1010 or 1020 speakers for a greatly reduced price (1010 almost half the price of the 2010). This will give you a great sounding speaker price for a bargain price. You could even look at the 1030 floorstanders.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Does any one know if there good for Music as well?

Generally floostanders are considered better for music as they have a bigger cabinet which allows the air to circulate better resulting in better sound reproduction. The 2000 series would be fine but if you will mainly be listening to music then I would invest in a pair of decent floorstanders. Now that the 1000 series has come down in price you could pick up some 1030i's or even a pair of 1050i's for pretty cheap and they would be great for music. You can then buy a pair of 1010i's/1020i's and a 1000c centre and you'll have a very nice surround sound system. You can then add a sub later on.

Cheers

Saf

neenan

Standard Member
Due to all your great help i've pretty much desided on the 2010s for my home cinema and sterio.

However, will it effect the sound much if i attach them to the walls in the corners, about 2ms off the floor?

I have some wall brackets at home that screw into the back of the units but will this damage the sound and am i better off going for the Q Acoustics wall mount brackets?

If any one can let me know that would be great.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom