Should I upgrade to WD?

sparklesmcgraw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The other day I upgraded the SKy HD box to a WD10WADS drive and It wouldnt work. Maybe the drive was knackered but after reading reports, maybe it is the power the box can handle?

I have a Thomson box and have a new WD10EVCS coming today. What are the chances that this will work?

I will report once I have it in.

That WD10EVCS drive should work fine with the possable exception of the samsung HD box.

Of course you will need to connect the drive to your PC and Use copy+ to format the drive to use it too full capacity in your box but you probably knew that.

Yeh I did as thats what I did last time.

But cheers anyway!

The drive just arrived so.......here we go again!

Well I've put in the WD10EVCS and so far is working an absolute treat. Very fast and handles recording 2 HD channels simultaneously no bother.

Hopefully it lasts this time! And hopefully I get my refund from Amazon for the old drive.

Its great having so much free space, now I need to get archiving. Can't get over how 1 HD film takes no more than 2%!

Next on the to buy list, Hauppauge HD PVR.

Thanks to this forum for all the help available on hand.

:thumbsup:

sparkle - how easy is the upgrade? I did my Sky+ box about 5 years ago and that was pretty easy, but I didn't have to do the Copy+ thing. I am OK with opening up my PC and installing the disk in there to do the Copy+ bit I think as I have recently installed an extra hard drive (which I will have to take out while I do the Copy+).

Just after a "laypersons" view on whether it is just a "go for it, you'd have to be inept to break it" or a "only do this if you are willing to end up having to throw the whole lot away" and can afford to type of job.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, and thanks in advance for your comments!!

NS

I used one of THESE...........................it will save you opening up your PC at all :smashin:

If it is a Thomson you won't go far wrong if you follow THESE instructions.

Last edited:
I aso used an external caddy as I only have a laptop.

Verdict - very easy to do, just be careful with the screws so not to strip any, and be careful with the internal components once opened.

Copy + is a doddle to use, just follow the instructions online.

Good luck, and yes it is worth it if you enjoy recording HD.

If it isn't a Thomson is it really tricky or just fussy on which HDD it likes?

Are they shipping a mixture currently, or all Samsungs?

cheers, NS

How many did you use? I only have a laptop so how could I do what you did?

Just one.

You need to have enough space to save your recordings to the laptop hard drive.................then install them onto the new Sky hard drive using the same caddy.

Don't waste time with recordings of stuff that will be on again many times in the future. Just delete unnecessary stuff before you start the process.

cheers, NS

The internal set up may be a bit different with other makes. I'm sure a search on here will find photos of the insides of other makes. There is a huge thread on upgrading to 1TB hard drives.

I think I read that the Samsung HD box is not to keen on Samsung hard drives ! :cool:

If you're thinking of upgrading, my advice... go for it. It's really not difficult to do.

Having a 1TB drive in my Thomson box has transformed it. I'm now recording much much more HD content. I can now go on holiday without coming back to 'Disk Full'. :thumbsup:

Best thing i have done to mine, better fans as well.

cheers, NS

I've got 2 esata ports on the back of my PC I just connect the cables to the drives, I have AHCI mode enabled to so I can hot plug them too, and it's much faster than USB2!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom