Question Should I upgrade to Q from HD box

pwood

I am still using a Sky HD box,is the HD picture quality any better? I am still holding out on Uhd as I have no need for multi room that SKy insist I take at an extra 13pm.

Last edited:

pwood

A while back a number of forum members reported the picture was softer is that still the case?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I changed about 18 months ago & would not go back to the HD box. Q is IMO the way to go & as for PQ I find it at least as good on my 4K TV & Projector.

pwood

Does the Q box output Dolby Digital + or just plain only Dolby Digital with movies etc. Subtle difference I know but it’s not clear from the specs.

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Does the Q box output Dolby Digital + or just plain only Dolby Digital with movies etc. Subtle difference I know but it’s not clear from the specs.

DD+ and Atmos when available on content

MarcoDB

DD+ and Atmos when available on content

DD+ and Atmos are currently only available with UHD content.

Although it is technically possible to supply it with HD content, Sky have chosen to limit it to UHD content only at this time.

rs101

DD+ and Atmos are currently only available with UHD content.

Although it is technically possible to supply it with HD content, Sky have chosen to limit it to UHD content only at this time.
Possibly because the HD content is also used by the Sky+HD boxes and they have concerns how they would handle it..

pwood

Thanks everyone. I wish I didn’t have to pay for multi room sub to get UHD as I have no need for it, however your replies rep the sound helped make my mind up.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone. I wish I didn’t have to pay for multi room sub to get UHD as I have no need for it, however your replies rep the sound helped make my mind up.

I had no need for a second box either but went for it so I could get UHD and 2TB storage.

MarcoDB

Possibly because the HD content is also used by the Sky+HD boxes and they have concerns how they would handle it..

According to Dolby themselves, DD+ is backwards compatible with DD.

https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/dolby-digital-plus-faq.pdf

Amazon use DD+ for their HD streaming service; my Gen2 FireTV has a setting to select DD+ or DD audio on the HDMI output, so it can be disabled if your AV receiver objects to the additional DD+ information, which I believe should be discarded/ignored if the DD protocol has been implemented correctly (discuss!).

I do think it is a bit strange that Sky haven't adopted it given that DD+ actually needs lower bit rates (and smaller files) compared to the equivalent DD stream for the same audio quality and we all know how broadcasters love to keep those bitrates as low as possible to squeeze in more channels.

https://www.encoding.com/blog/2015/07/10/whats-makes-dolby-digital-plus-better/

Sky may have to make a couple of tweaks to the Sky HD box firmware to decode (and ignore?) the DD+ audio, but in principle it should work.

However, as you point out, that's not to say that Sky haven't tried this and discovered that there are issues (hardware, firmware, ...) that couldn't be resolved?

Personally, I'm leaning more towards marketing, exclusivity and the desire to shift everyone to the Sky Q platform being the key drivers of this decision...

pwood

Box installed yesterday and first impressions are it’s fast and the voice control is really impressive which I normally care less about. The hassle of finding UHD programs is bit annoying but I read somewhere that Sky are likely to improve this in the near future. The Dolby Digital + content is a lot less than I was hoping for but overall I recon I should have upgraded ages ago.

Thanks again folks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom