Should I Upgrade to OLED?

AdamVGR

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 49" Samsung KS7000 SUHD that I have had for a few years now. It's great but I see that the price of OLEDs are dropping and I'm wondering if upgrading would be a worth it?

I believe it will be very worth it especially if you go 55 or 65.
You should be able to get the 2019 oled for very low especially end of q1 when there is a need to make space for the 2020 crop...
Oled needs to be handled with care..as long as you know that...you will be rewarded with a picture to die for..

I’m on my first OLED (Sony AG8 had it for 8 months now) and I’m still amazed at how good the picture quality is compared to my previous LED TVs.

It’s also nice to watch sport without any noticeable DSE or banding so yes in my opinion it’s worth upgrading.

Hi,

I currently have a 49" Samsung KS7000 SUHD that I have had for a few years now. It's great but I see that the price of OLEDs are dropping and I'm wondering if upgrading would be a worth it?
Prices have never been better on Oleds.
Also they have never been higher quality or look better either, Oled tech has pretty well peaked, so the new stuff coming out isnt going to have any major improvements over the 2019 panels, so these are very good to buy right now and while they last as they are severely reduced in price.

I saw that stores here in the US put the 65" LG C9 for example back on sale this morning from $2599.99 down to $2199.99, the 65" E9 was $2999.99 but I called an authorized dealer that I found out had been selling some tv's through greentoe a broker site where you put in a bid of what you want to pay and the stores see it, and they accept or counter your offer and you can buy like that, but you dont get to find out who the retailer is until after you buy.

Well I found out who two of the stores were that were doing this and I emailed them directly, I asked them if I could just get that price without going through the middle man and they said yes, I had offered 1799.99 for the C9 and was told the best they can do is 1899.99.

Interestingly a couple weeks ago when the 65" C9 was on sale at 2099.99 at Best Buy, you could get it for 1799.99 through Greentoe, I talked to three people who did it, todays sale was $100 more, at $2199.99 at Best Buy and so when they told me the best they could do was 1899.99 it made sense to me.

Anyway by going this route,you can buy from an authorized dealer, and pay the lowest price anywhere.
If you are in the Uk I dont know if Greentoe is a thing for you or not, or maybe you have a similar site.
If you can use Greentoe, you can skip it and check with Beach Camera's website like I did, or Buydig or Costco.
I ended up opting for the 65" E9 for 2199.99 down from 2999.99.

Last edited:
Hi,

the only real potential reasons not to buy an oled over an lcd tv are the relatively high price and the potential for image retention.
as others have said here, recent oleds have got to a point where there is little improvement year on year to the picture quality.
if you are a hard core gamer who plays most days for many hours and also watches a lot of tv with static logos then I would potentially keep away from oled.
i might also avoid them if I only watch tv in a very bright room.
otherwise you won’t really get a better viewing experience, especially with good to high quality content.
its then more about choosing which oled is best for your needs, as there are many good choices...

I do a lot of gaming to be fair, so are you saying I should avoid OLED? I do want to get a new TV of some kind though as my SUHD has a few scratches now 😢

I do a lot of gaming to be fair, so are you saying I should avoid OLED? I do want to get a new TV of some kind though as my SUHD has a few scratches now 😢

I don’t think you definitely have to avoid oled, but it’s important to understand the risks. Modern oleds have a number of technologies to mitigate the risk, but its good to be aware of the potential issues.
since your initial main decision is whether to go oled or not, then decide what’s best from there, I would start by reading up on the risks on this forum, and see how that maps against your usage.
LG for example are starting to promote their oleds as great gaming TVs, and many people on here use oleds and game on them, and have trouble free use for years...

Another thing that I worry about is 8K. I sit quite close to the tv anyway, so I doubt that will make a difference. Do you think I should stick to 4K?

Another thing that I worry about is 8K. I sit quite close to the tv anyway, so I doubt that will make a difference. Do you think I should stick to 4K?

I shouldn’t worry about 8k. It’s unlikely there will be much 8k content for some time, as there’s still not that much 4K.
in addition, content could look worse on an 8k set as for most content, e.g. HD, it would have to do even more upscaling.
the eventual benefit will be there but I can’t see that for some years, and really only on very large TVs...
an established oled or lcd quality tv is likely to be much better value, and give you everything you need.
my 55” oled looks stunning for a lot of stuff.
cheers

Don’t worry too much as you don’t have to baby sit OLED.My E7 is on 10 hours everyday.Its gamed on for up to 4 hours non stop so I wouldn’t worry about gaming at all.So that’s 3,600 hours a year for my house but it’s all very much varied content.
My tv never sees any news channels with ticker bars through choice we don’t watch them and never have.Also we never watch breakfast tv with there bright logos again by choice we’ve never watched them.Also I’ve not got Netflix with it’s bright red logo.All my tv is through Sky Q and HD content looks really good.Id say go for it and enjoy it live for today.
Dont buy from Very as they aren’t good if things go wrong.Also you have to pay for an extended warranty when you get 5 years free with most retailers or even 6 years with Richersounds

i never had any image rentention on my E7 65" in the 2+ years i had it. only suffered with banding.
I now have a Samsung Q90 which is decent as i got a 75" for a few £100s more. However the LG App to control the tv functions is way much better than the samsung

You dont have to avoid oled for gaming.
The LG oled is the best gaming tv of 2019 fastest response time, lowest input lag, gsync compatible, hdmi 2.1 for next gen consoles and upcoming video cards, etc.. they did all that for a tv that isnt meant to game on?
Think about it?
I game 2 to 8 hours a day 7 days a week, I just ordered the E9, with no reservations at all, both LG and many owners have convinced me that you can easily game daily on an oled and have no worries about burn in, especially on a 2019 panel the most modern tech yet for preventing and mitigating burn in.
If you play really bright games that leave bright items on the screen the entire time, and you play that game for hours everyday then in time, yes you could develop burn in.
However the chances of it are far lower than ever before.
You can also poll users for their opinions, you are always going to find some cases of it, but far and wide it isnt a problem, not to mention LG has been replacing panels even up to 4 years old and out of warranty in the event you do have burn in.
I woudl buy the oled, ( I did buy the Oled) and not think twice about it.

Question would be; is there any Led model decently competing with oled tech in your dark living room?
Thanks to Av forums we know some Panasonic Led tv reach 0.03 cd/m2 and thats great but not enough, remember the 0.01 of the Plasmas and remember that Led backlightning leaks and blooming
compromise enormously scenes where black must be inmersive

I am also looking at changing my 6 year old Samsung f8000 3d tv for oled and surely the extra £100 for the C9 would be worth it over the B9

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom