1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade to M&K S-150s?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by M&Kfan, Jul 8, 2005.

1. M&Kfan

M&Kfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I am currently building a dedicated basement HT. Dimensions are approx 14' x 24'. I am just wondering if it is time to bite the bullet and upgrade my beloved M&K 750s to S-150s across the front or whether beefier amplification would help fill the larger room? Refer to my sig. for exisiting kit.

Thanks in advance for your help. :smashin:

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ref to you're question if you were to upgrade to the S-150's i would say that you would definitly need to upgrade the HK aswell even though it is a good amp the S-150's would not be getting the best amplification that they require, so i would say that you're existing speakers would probably sound better with the amp being upgraded.
    I have come to believe that M&K speakers really do thrive on good amplification and you would get more satisfaction from a new amp than changeing the speakers 1st.

Regards
    John

3. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would agree with Recruit, better quality amplification would improve your current set-up.

And to get the best out of the S150's you need the tilt brackets or tilt stands.(very expensive)

I have S125's across the front, and in my smaller room the S150's were only marginally better, add the extremely heavy tiltable stands and the difference was substantial.

Or you could buy a mx350, that ought to fill the room ;)

Yes i am jealous of Recruits system :D

4. M&Kfan

M&Kfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the assistance Recruit & Cyrus. One more quick question. The 750LCRs are rated at 200W max power. Is this a 4 ohm rating or an 8 ohm rating? The S-150 are rated at 400W. They must really suck current big time!!!

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 750's are 4 ohm rated speakers so that will be 200watts into 4ohms.