Should I upgrade to HD now?

pauluk31

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have standard Sky, no freeview in our area.

I can upgrade for £105 plus £120 a year HD sub.

How likely is the HD to be unwatchable for me?

Can I switch off the HD box over night at the mains, like I do with the standard Sky box?

Would you upgrade?

I have a 32 inch LCD.

Regards

Paul

:lease:

Last edited:
Hello,

the same as everyone else

what a bizarre question! What would stop you watching something costing all that cash?

Can I switch off the HD box over night at the mains, like I do with the standard Sky box?
Of course you can ! Again bizarre

Would you upgrade?

It entirely depends on the individual, I would say a 32 inch tv would not give you the wow factor a larger tv would using an HD source, but im sure there will be countless posters long shortly to say that, they have a 28 inch/32 inch 22 inch monitor with sky HD. So we are back to the initial thing of it being an individual choice.

I have a 32 inch LCD.
is it even HD ready ?

Regards

Paul

see above

Hello,

Would you upgrade?

I have a 32 inch LCD.

Regards

Paul

Depends what programmes you watch and what you would subscribe to.
I cancelled the HD subs after 1 year but If I subscibed to all the sports or all the movie channels £10 is worth it.

I upgraded from sky+ to Sky+HD this week and i am really impressed with the picture quality.

I too saw the upgrade offer stating £75 for new customers and £105 for existing- a pricing policy which really annoys me as i have been a full package subscriber for the last 5 years!

Anyway, i blagged my case and they installed it for £59.99, so just threaten to cancel saying that your goona go cable etc, and they should drop the price.

The only this which i think is poor is the amount of programmes on the few 'HD' channels that actually are in HD. For example the sports channels only show about (25% at best) of the scheduled programmes in HD.

Maybe it's just me be daft, but i can surely be excused for thinking an HD channel would show the majority programmes in HD!

DGZDG,

Do you have the lip sync problem? which box do you have?

Cheers

Paul

Alright mate,

the box is a 160gb samsung model. The box just says 'model: JUL2008'

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the lip sync issue?

DGZ

Take a look at a HD channel. Does the sound not match whats happening on screen? For example, do you see the picture before the sound, or hear the sound after the event. For example, if someone talks, do the lips move and the sound come half a second later?

I hit enter & instantly i realised i'd asked a stupid question!

I just checked a couple of films on the HD movie channels and the were fine, but this morning my wife said that there was a 1/4 second sound lag on ch4 HD last night watching ugly betty.

Thanks.

It looks like a broadcasting problem then. Strange one to solve.

It entirely depends on the individual, I would say a 32 inch tv would not give you the wow factor a larger tv would using an HD source, but im sure there will be countless posters long shortly to say that, they have a 28 inch/32 inch 22 inch monitor with sky HD. So we are back to the initial thing of it being an individual choice.

It depends ENTIRELY on how far you are sitting from the TV. Sitting at a certain distance from an 32" set will give you exactly the same HD experience as sitting further away from a 47" set.

Not really individual choice, so much as circumstance.

I generally find the the movie HD channels are fine but BBC, CH4 and Sky1HD have sync issues (but not all the time). Discovery, NatGeo and History are generally fine too.

It depends ENTIRELY on how far you are sitting from the TV. Sitting at a certain distance from an 32" set will give you exactly the same HD experience as sitting further away from a 47" set.

Not really individual choice, so much as circumstance.

haha i told you there would be a 32 inch owner along to extol the merits of a tiny screen and voila

haha i told you there would be a 32 inch owner along to extol the merits of a tiny screen and voila
To be fair Penna said it depends on the viewing distance and he/she is correct in that. (I have a 50" but it's no better than a 32" if I was sitting closer, which I can't do).

I sit approx 8' from my 32"tv and the picture is perfect!:smashin:

Went to my son in laws yesterday who sits the same distance and owns a 40" samsung.And the picture was awful!!
You could pick out all the digital noise and imperfections.Not only in SD but in HD also!!

I sit approx 8' from my 32"tv and the picture is perfect!:smashin:

Went to my son in laws yesterday who sits the same distance and owns a 40" samsung.And the picture was awful!!
You could pick out all the digital noise and imperfections.Not only in SD but in HD also!!

well im debating the following choices:

watch the footy on my projection screen - lounge
watch the footy on the plasma- conservetory
the choices for footy are
game one - sunderland/arsenal
game two- west brom/fulham
game three- wigan/middlesbrough

To be honest I would rather watch a film/movie (ooh get me being american)
or sporting event(there i go again) on a bigger screen than 32 inch. I like to relax and sitting with my nose touching the screen and squinting doesnt blow my frock up
Each to their own i guess. Im going to go for oooooooooh arsenal I think!

Maybe it's just me be daft, but i can surely be excused for thinking an HD channel would show the majority programmes in HD!
There have been, and are, many around here who would say you can't be excused - but I'm not one of them.
Radio 5 Live is live - why shouldn't anyone expect Sky 1 HD to be HD?:devil:

Thanks for all the advice.

I've just ordered the Sky HD upgrade. It's supposed be to installed on the 20th October 2008. I'll keep you informed about the installation. Once installed I aim to give an unbiased view of the installation, box and service. I'll do this on a regular basis.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for all the advice.

I've just ordered the Sky HD upgrade. It's supposed be to installed on the 20th October 2008. I'll keep you informed about the installation. Once installed I aim to give an unbiased view of the installation, box and service. I'll do this on a regular basis.

No offence but i think now after nearly 2 years of installs there is more than enough un biased / biased views of the service. I seriously doubt there is much left to say

Regards

Paul

see above

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom