Should I upgrade to a proper player??

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I currently have the HD-DVD add on for my 360 & I'm starting to wonder if I should take the plunge & buy a full player now?

This has all come about after trying to watch Bourne Supremacy last night & deciding that the noise from the 360 itself is sooooo great that without having my amp & well over 3 quarter volume & Centre set to +10 :eek: I cant hear a blasted thing Matt Damon says.

I have quite a collection of HD's & there is no way I can put up with this for all my films so I'm thinking that as I cant afford to buy a BR player & switch them all to BD that a cheap Toshiba may be the way forward.

Is it worth shelling out the pennies to get one??

Ta.

Neil

in a word yes.with your current amp id go for an ep-35 or an XE1,both of which will utilise the 6 channel input on your amp to pass HD soundtracks via the analogue out as LPCM.

Yes 100% ,i had the Add on, and like you said the noise is awful so i got a ep35 on release day . I have just started to flog some of my blu's and replace them with reds :eek:

Excellent stuff :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help & advice guys.

Hmmmm 6.1 does sound good ;)
What extras do I need? is it just a rear centre speaker??

Off now to do a wanted thread & hopefully I can get a Mutliregion one then I can lose my Tevion as well & gain some extra space back in the rack ;) lol

Thanks again guys.

Neil

you wont get 6.1 im afraid,the six channel input on your amp is for your 5 speakers+sub.........

Ah I see...bums ;) lol

Oh well I should really consider an amp upgrade at some point in the future I think anyway & perhaps the move to proper HD players should be the starting point for better AV all round :devil::devil:

Thanks again.

Neil

I have 2 HD-DVD drives for my 360 and can't say I have noticed noises from either of them or the 360 its self. One thing I have noticed is that my Toshiba EP30 occasionally has problems with a couple of my HD DVD's which play perfectly in the 360 add on drives so if you get a HD player then don't get rid of the Xbox drive. I am proberbly alone in thinking this but the picture played through the 360 seems better then the Toshiba EP30 so I tend to use this most of the time.

I have 2 HD-DVD drives for my 360 and can't say I have noticed noises from either of them or the 360 its self. One thing I have noticed is that my Toshiba EP30 occasionally has problems with a couple of my HD DVD's which play perfectly in the 360 add on drives so if you get a HD player then don't get rid of the Xbox drive. I am proberbly alone in thinking this but the picture played through the 360 seems better then the Toshiba EP30 so I tend to use this most of the time.

Yeah the 360 is pretty damn quiet with just the HDDVD running and with the hint of fans. Have audio on even at more than a pretty quiet 60-70db and u aint gonna hear it one bit.
May hear it slightly on quiet scenes but certainly no big deal.
Be thankfull it dont use the internal drive at full speed, but again if sound on u wouldn't hear that much either.
But if urs does bug u proper players pretty cheap so yeah go for it.

Yeah the 360 is pretty damn quiet with just the HDDVD running and with the hint of fans. Have audio on even at more than a pretty quiet 60-70db and u aint gonna hear it one bit.
May hear it slightly on quiet scenes but certainly no big deal.
Be thankfull it dont use the internal drive at full speed, but again if sound on u wouldn't hear that much either.
But if urs does bug u proper players pretty cheap so yeah go for it.

Now you see it hasnt been that bad before which is whats beginning to worry me.
Over the last few days the fans have seemed noisier when playing games as well so I fear it may be that the machine is beginning to fail on me :(:(
This will be hugely bad news if it does as it's a Japanese launch unit & MS wont repair it & that means a brand new import will be needed & at nearly £300 once you add import duties there's no way I can afford it at the moment :(

UK unit wont do either as all my games are Japan only imports so need a Japan machine at all costs.

Anyway I'm scouring the sales threads & Egay now for a proper player...looks like I missed one that got archived yesterday for an E1 @ £40 delivered :(

Oh well hopefully someone else will be parting with one soon.

Thanks again guys

Neil

Now you see it hasnt been that bad before which is whats beginning to worry me.
Over the last few days the fans have seemed noisier when playing games as well so I fear it may be that the machine is beginning to fail on me :(:(
This will be hugely bad news if it does as it's a Japanese launch unit & MS wont repair it & that means a brand new import will be needed & at nearly £300 once you add import duties there's no way I can afford it at the moment :(

UK unit wont do either as all my games are Japan only imports so need a Japan machine at all costs.

Anyway I'm scouring the sales threads & Egay now for a proper player...looks like I missed one that got archived yesterday for an E1 @ £40 delivered :(

Oh well hopefully someone else will be parting with one soon.

Thanks again guys

Neil

Again it shouldn't be the fans u are hearing playing games either, disc drive noise yeah but running the HDDVD it should be pretty quiet.
For example at dash with no game in my 360 makes a small whirr similiar to my pretty quiet PC same as with the hddvd on.
And for instance with the HDDVD running it makes no more noise than if 360 was at dash without it running, and getting silly i can hear my Marantz CD player spin up (U know that initial cd spin up noise) can hear that easily above my 360 when its on, Thats getting silly but that's how quiet a 360 should be at dash or with HDDVD running.
I reccomend u unplug and whip it out for blow down at the back in fan area with a compressor if poss as mayb it's clogged and starting to whine, u be astonished what comes out of it, i do it every few months if i can be bothered.
Im always amazed when i read these threads but that just shows that some of the 360's fans must be loud as mine is whisper quiet without a game in or HDDVD on.

Thanks for the info there GMC :)

Will give the machine a clear out & see if it makes any difference...fingers crossed it does.

I do think I'll be investing in a Toshiba HD player though so I can replace my Tevion anyway as it's started playing up recently as well...discs skip badly & I've lost the box to send it back for repair :(
So an upscaling HD player would be nice anyway :)

Thanks again it's been a great help.

Neil

I would I have Look at it like this for the same sort of money you can get a
hd dvd player for now its just about the same as a low end dvd player with upscaling.So nothing to lose you just win as you can play hd dvds as well as upscale your old ones:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom