1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade to a Philips Q50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Markie Boy, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    I currently have a Yamaha DVD-S540 feeding in progressively into my AE100 PJ. Picture is excellent, but Ive come across the Philips Q50 at a really good price, and am wondering if this machine would make a difference in terms of picture quality over the Yammie? (not too bothered about extra functions or CD replay). Any thoughts?
    Markie Boy

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Can anybody confirm for me if this unit is PAL progressive and/or has the DCDi onboard?
    Markie Boy

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    If its a european machine circa 2002 then it probably doesnt have dcdi. This was the same as the 962sa player, which only appeared with the farouja chip in USA and the far east.

You can check really easily because it has the markings on the front face of the player. If it doesnt say dcdi on the box......................

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Well guys I took the plunge and picked up the Q50. I can confirm the model I picked up here in Oz does have DCDi onboard. Picture is significantly better than the Yamaha and overall worth the AU$285 I paid for it!
    Markie Boy