Should I upgrade the Smart Hub 2 now I have FTTP?

D

Deleted member 39241

Just got FTTP installed yesterday, and using the supplied Smart Hub 2.

We went for the 910 / 110 package, speed tests are showing 700 / 50. Not quite there but still stupidly fast!

As the new hub doesn't allow the 5ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi networks to be split, I am using the old hub as a 2.4ghz access point. I also have a separate 5ghz AP that is just used for the server on the top floor, it works well at 877 to 1000 connection speeds, and saved having to run a cable up to the top of a three storey house.

I am just wondering whether I should be considering investing in a third party router to better compliment my new broadband package, or is the Smart Hub 2 good enough?

The Openreach Engineer who did the install planted the thought that to get the full 910 speed I might need a better router, but didn't recommend one.

The 50 Mbps upload limit on the BT router you've been supplied is down to a bug, when you should be getting around 100 Mbps upload. Loads of complaints by BT customers using this router on the Fibre 900 service. A factory reset *might* fix this, I suggest giving it a try.

Otherwise if you want to use a third party high end router, then go for something like the Netgear RAX200 or Asus RT-AX88U. If these are out of your budget, then something like the Asus RT-AC86U or Netgear R8000P are cheaper alternatives. On my TalkTalk FTTP 900/115 line, I'm using a Netgear RAX200 and getting wifi 5 speeds of 600 Mbps and 800-900 Mbps on wifi 6.

Thanks. The upload speed has magically jumped up to 100ish now, bit odd as I didn't change anything.

The download speed is fluctuating a lot from device to device and at different times of the day. It's all over the guaranteed limit though, which they set at 455.

Thanks for the tips on the routers, I'll see if any bargains pop up in prime day next week!

Hi Rambles

Could I just ask, are you hitting 700 over wifi with this package and router, or is the 700 you are hitting on a wired device?

Thanks

Hi Rambles

Could I just ask, are you hitting 700 over wifi with this package and router, or is the 700 you are hitting on a wired device?

Thanks
With the Smart Hub 2, I'm getting 750ish wired and around 350ish via WiFi 5.

The new Asus router is due to arrive today.

I ordered one after I posted last night, great price. Mine arrives on Saturday, please let me know how you get on with the setup and results.

Cheers
Al

You should easily gey

You should get around 500-600 Mbps over wifi 5 using the Asus RT-AX88. Also if you have a compatible laptop, you can upgrade the wifi to wifi 6 using a Intel AX200 card. Costs around £20, I did this on my Thinkpad laptop (very easy to do).

I ordered one after I posted last night, great price. Mine arrives on Saturday, please let me know how you get on with the setup and results.

Cheers
Al
Hi, just been setting it up. The thing is huge! Download speeds via wired are a little bit better, wifi is much better. I am not sure if the full fibre service is affected by busy periods or not, but I'll try some more speed tests at different hours. I expect my whole village is online right now!

I finally managed to see the numbers I was hoping to see on the speed test. As well as the new router, I switched network cards in the PC, and used the Ookla app from the windows store, rather then the webpage.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 18.35.37.jpeg

Mines showing as out for delivery today, was it easy enough to setup., just bt box directly to wan port on router?

I had to put in a username and password, but from your pm, I guess you have worked that out!

Yep, for BT connections your need to enter your PPPoE login details on the Asus router, they are generic though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom