Should i upgrade Sonos Connect if I use Spotify?

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
Hi there, I have a sonos connect streaming spotify at maximum quality into a Niles Si 2100 power amp and then into Kef q150 speakers. Will i get a significant sound upgrade by replacing the sonos connect with something else?

I am not an audiophile and love the usability of spotify, and the way it integrates easily with the Sonos Connect. That's important to me. But I guess i am going down the rabbit hole of audio toys and wondering if i will get a noticable jump in sound quality by going a different route. I am not a huge audiophile, and quite enjoy my current set up, but am curious.

thank you

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Have you tried adding a DAC to bypass the Sonos own ?

larkone

No matter what you do you will still be stuck with 320kbps from Spotify, CD is 1411kbps by comparison so nearly 80% more information.

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
thanks. i hear a lot about how the sonos connect is inferior to the bluesound or other streamers. If i were to use an alternate streamer will i see better, richer sound given I am using spotify?

I also hear folks say that you can't really tell the difference between streamers, and that spotify 'very high' is indistinguishable from CD quality. Trying to parse the reality from the audiophile edge case.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
How big is your music collection? Sonos still has library track limit of 60,000 tracks

D

Deleted member 901590

In my opinion your best next upgrade would be to add a subwoofer (or subwoofers) to fill in all of the frequency response that you are currently missing out on. Many of them have a pre out (stereo LR) input, so you could use the pre output from your Niles.

If you want additional control and a more flat in room response from your subwoofer/s you could then use EQ (whether external by, e.g. a MiniDSP or internal to the subwoofer such as the SVS Pro product offerings).

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
In my opinion your best next upgrade would be to add a subwoofer (or subwoofers) to fill in all of the frequency response that you are currently missing out on. Many of them have a pre out (stereo LR) input, so you could use the pre output from your Niles.

If you want additional control and a more flat in room response from your subwoofer/s you could then use EQ (whether external by, e.g. a MiniDSP or internal to the subwoofer such as the SVS Pro product offerings).
Thanks for the tip. I had not thought of that. And I don't have any experience of woofers. Sounds like the idea there is to leave the kefs to do the mid and high end well, strip them of having to do any bass work as the woofer will do that. And as a result everything sounds better. Is that right?

Do you have a good value small foot print sub you would recommend?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Hi there, I have a sonos connect streaming spotify at maximum quality into a Niles Si 2100 power amp and then into Kef q150 speakers. Will i get a significant sound upgrade by replacing the sonos connect with something else?

I am not an audiophile and love the usability of spotify, and the way it integrates easily with the Sonos Connect. That's important to me. But I guess i am going down the rabbit hole of audio toys and wondering if i will get a noticable jump in sound quality by going a different route. I am not a huge audiophile, and quite enjoy my current set up, but am curious.

thank you
I would also look into bass management ,.high pass your q159 speakers also, and not just adding a sub

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Thank you. I know this is a remedial questions, but what is 'high pass' and why would that help?

It's same principle as bass management in avr, so it diverts low bass from your q150 to the sub.

A stereo hifi doesn't have this so whatever speakers you have your amp and speakers are attempting to output full range. That isn't a problem if you have decent amp and floorstanders, but if you have low powered amp and standmounts it's worthwhile having high pass.

Some subs offer high pass, there's low level and high level. You can also look at dedicated boxes, there's the outlaw icbm-1 but more modern devices like antimode dual core and minidsp probably do something similar

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Have a look here I recently reintroduced ICBM into my hifi

Something like that would be critical if you had very small speakers say whatfey diamond 9.0 (or smaller) you use 120hz setting for the smaller speakers

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
It's same principle as bass management in avr, so it diverts low bass from your q150 to the sub.

A stereo hifi doesn't have this so whatever speakers you have your amp and speakers are attempting to output full range. That isn't a problem if you have decent amp and floorstanders, but if you have low powered amp and standmounts it's worthwhile having high pass.

Some subs offer high pass, there's low level and high level. You can also look at dedicated boxes, there's the outlaw icbm-1 but more modern devices like antimode dual core and minidsp probably do something similar

Thank you. I have a niles SI 2100 power amp. Would that amp allow me to do that high pass. Or is this controlled via the sub?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Thank you. I have a niles SI 2100 power amp. Would that amp allow me to do that high pass. Or is this controlled via the sub?

No. The only way I know to get high pass is

Svs SB 12+ that has high level and low level high pass fixed at 80hz (old sub now)

Svs SB ultra 13 with the older sledge amp with the silver dial (variable low level high pass)

Outlaw icbm-1 (put that unit between pre and Niles low level)

Possibly antimode dual core etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-195347.png
    Screenshot_20220423-195347.png
    621 KB · Views: 11

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom