Should I upgrade my SKY scart cables?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Claret, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a Toshiba 36ZP38B picture frame TV to complement my Toshiba RD-XS30SB DVD recorder. I also have a SKY stb (not SKY+) and a basic Samsug mono video (used to play kids tapes). TV has built in Dolby Digital so don't intend bothering with separate amp.
    DVD has S-video in/out, red/white/yellow audio/video component in/out and 2 scart (RGB scart out BUT NOT IN! ).
    TV has 3 scart (inc. 1 RGB), component video input, separate optical audio and coaxial audio inputs. Also has fixed audio output (?).
    SKY stb (Panasonic) has 2 scart out and separate red/white audio connections.
    I've connected DVD>TV using good quality 9 pin scart and coaxial audio cables. SKY is connected to DVD and TV using scarts that came with stb.

Question: given the apparent lack of an RGB conection for either SKY>DVD or SKY>TV is it worth upgrading the SKY scarts?

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect the DVD to the TV using a decent set of component connectors (three phono cables). Connect sky to the TV via a decent RGB scart lead (this includes audio) If you are looking to record more from sky than you watch, use a decent rgb scart from the sky to the dvd and see if it then allows you to "watch" what is being recorded, if it does not, consider using svideo from sky to tv.

Hope this makes sense

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    you should be hooking up your dvd player via the components (and not via the scart as well) and that will free up the RGB scart socket. Plug the Sky box into the RGB scart and the video into the second socket on the sky box.

Make sure that your sky box is outputing RGB (via the menu options) and that you are using an RGB cable.

RGB gives a much better picture than composite, its well worth sorting this out.

4. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I had understood that a decent RGB scart was better than red/white/yellow? TV has YUV component input but no matching output from DVD.

Nathan - Stb doesn't have S-video output, just RGB and PAL(?).

To be honest picture from my current set up looks good to my untrained eye (especially DVD>TV) but I wondered if I was getting the most out of the kit I have.

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the back looks like this then you'll have to forget component.

Best to use RGB

Rgds

Attached Files:

6. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah Nathan, that's it.

Ok so RGB it is then. Can set RGB out on SKY BUT no RGB in on DVD and RGB scart on TV already in use by DVD!!!!!

In circumstances is it worth upgrading cables supplied with stb to good RGB scarts?