Should I upgrade my reciever?

beatmix01

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my entire speaker system to an Energy Connoisseur Series setup with a Chrysalis Photon 10 sub. The receiver I am currently using is a Yamaha RX-v367 I traded for an old Sony HTIB receiver. I've been looking at picking up either a refurb Denon AVR-1912 ($399) or a Pioneer VSX-1021 ($349). I have also been looking at the Onkyo Onkyo TX-NR609, but read that it gets very hot. I do not have a 3D TV just (still using an old Samsung 32" LCD circa 2006), but it is in my upgrade path. The room dimensions are approx 12x15x10.

My main input sources are as follows:
PS3 (1st Gen)
XBOX 360 Slim
Wii
HTPC

Love to hear some input.

Welcome to the forums :smashin:

Not many will know those speakers as this is a British forum (although you'll still be very welcome :)).

You need to state which model of speakers you have, but from what I've seen after a quick glance on the net, you'd definitely benefit from an upgrade.

But I'd be minded to put that money into something secondhand, where you'll get better sound.
You'll get a much better product, but it won't be brand new.

If you can connect your future 3D source directly (video-wise), you don't even have to worry about that.

FYI, there's a very similarly named US forum, but I don't want to go into that, as I'm sure the admin would prefer you to stay here (although you could of course use both) :)

Don't worry about the sub, as it has very little to do with it, being self powered.

I'd still stand by what I said.
That $400 should buy a very nice S/H upgrade.

What exactly are you looking for in a new amp?
I always assume better sound quality, but looking at your sources, I suspect I might be wrong?

I should clarify what I use my sources for. I mainly use them as media devices, not so much for gaming. Netflix and mkv 720p/1080p streams. I used to have an old OPPO OPDV971H which died on me and I replaced that with the PS3 in order to get the Blu-ray capability. I have started ripping my CD collection into either AAC Lossless or FLAC which i store on my HTPC which is connected using HDMI+Optical. I used to have an AppleTV (1st gen) to use AirPlay, but that device got hot enough to cook and egg on and couldn't just leave it out in the open.

I would love to have the network capability and perhaps even throw a pair of small wireless speakers in my kitchen.

I should clarify what I use my sources for. I mainly use them as media devices, not so much for gaming. Netflix and mkv 720p/1080p streams. I used to have an old OPPO OPDV971H which died on me and I replaced that with the PS3 in order to get the Blu-ray capability. I have started ripping my CD collection into either AAC Lossless or FLAC which i store on my HTPC which is connected using HDMI+Optical. I used to have an AppleTV (1st gen) to use AirPlay, but that device got hot enough to cook and egg on and couldn't just leave it out in the open.

I would love to have the network capability and perhaps even throw a pair of small wireless speakers in my kitchen.

And that's where I'm struggling to give you a solution.
I know very little about recent stuff.

One thing I can say though.
I have an Onkyo 605.
Whilst older than the 609, I doubt the main gubbins are much different and yes it gets warm when pushed, but I don't think it's a problem.

Hopefully others will shout up with suggestions :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom