Should I upgrade my DVD ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barry Bingham, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having acquired a Loewe Aconda I'm asking myself whether or not I should replace my Grundig GDV210A (Proline clone). Suggestions welcome. My Budget is £300. Would I notice any improvements from a £200 Tosh 210 or a £300 Panny RV41 for example. Or would I be wasting my money?

The only actual problems I've encountered are the Gladiator disc 2 glitch and the fact that for some reason neither Grundig nor Aconda can display a proper 16:9 image on a region 2 copy of "2010"- I get a wide picture letterboxed down to about a third of the Acond'as screen!!!

My overriding priority is picture quality rather than sound. BTW I can't get a Loewe Xemix- even if I wanted to shell out £400- as for some reason it doesn't play version 1.1 VCDs of which I have a lot.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have recently upgraded my 3/4 year old Pioneer 606 to a Pioneer 545 at a cost of £279.

The replay of cd's is much better as is the convenience due to the 545 having two scart sockets against the 606's none.

Improvements in the picture are debatable. My wife says that the picture from RGB into my 32" JVC is slightly sharper whilst I am afraid that I cannot see much difference between the new one and the old one playing through S-video.

I am happy with the upgrade but I was looking for things other than an improvement in picture quality.

Ian

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Your Aconda can take a component input and show a really good picture. A Toshiba 210 at £180 multi region would be a serious upgrade IMHO and not cost you a fortune. Also consider the even better but older 9000 at £310. The component input could go from the RCAs on the tosh to the Scart on the Aconda with the right lead (no yucky Scarts here).

4. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

Ive been looking for this DVD player and cant find it anywhere, do you know of any places that still sell it

cheers

5. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi-Spek had some 9000's last time I looked, that where I got mine, great machine but no RCE:(

6. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they seem to be selling multi region and region 2 wouldnt this solve the rce problem

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I bought my SD9000 from HiSpek a few months ago, and as Nick says it's an amazing machine.

Although it's region 1 it's not really RCE, it plays some allegedly RCE titles by first playing a Region 1 DVD. It defiantley wouldn't play my copy of final fantasy.

8. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Unfortuantly their multi region mod does not work for RCE encoded discs, at the moment this only affects some of the newer R1 discs (I think only one distributor, but I dont know which one). I have seen people post here that they have RCE modded 9000s so it could be that the ones Hi-Spek are selling now are different to mine. All I can sugest is that you contact them and ask, they were honest with me.

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry,
    I'd just like to point out HiSpek did tell me before I bought it, they didn't try to rip me off or anything, just incase I implied that.