Should I upgrade my centre speaker?

Porradude

Hi everyone. I've got the Jamo A102 HCS 5.1 speaker package. I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading the centre speaker at all and if so what is a decent upgrade for under £100.

3783680-PYooI.jpg

These are the specs for the centre speaker:
A 10 Centre Specifications
System Type2-way closed shielded
Impedance6
Tweeter (mm/in)19 / ¾Woofer (mm/in)76 / 3Weight (Kg/lb)1.1 / 2.4
Product dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD)91 × 174 × 92
3.6 × 6.9 × 3.7
Frequency Response (Hz, +/-3dB)150 - 20,000
Power Handling (Watts Long/Short Term)60 / 80
Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m)86
Overall Dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD)91 × 174 × 127
3.6 × 6.9 × 5.0

Any advice would be much appreciated.
PostTweet

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
No. Upgrade front three as minium if your receiver allows you to set individual crossovers for each speakers. If it´s limited to one setting for all then buy new 5.0 package / similar sized speakers.

Porradude

No. Upgrade front three as minium if your receiver allows you to set individual crossovers for each speakers. If it´s limited to one setting for all then buy new 5.0 package / similar sized speakers.
Thanks. I've got a yamaha 7.2 dolby atmos amp so should be able to set individual crossovers. Will it be worth upgrading the front 3 based on what I still have or will I have to spend a fair bit to improve my current set up?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I've got a yamaha 7.2 dolby atmos amp so should be able to set individual crossovers. Will it be worth upgrading the front 3 based on what I still have or will I have to spend a fair bit to improve my current set up?

If you have RX-V6xx range Yamaha upwards then you can mix larger speakers at front with tiny ones (Jamo) at rear.

If you have the space then no doubt buy full sized hifi speakers. Build the system slowly when funds allow so you don´t have to buy cheapest products. Ideally you would look something in the 200-300£ range for front mains and matching center channel typically around 150-200£. Is this possible?

How large room you have, what is the distance from tv to your couch?

Porradude

If you have RX-V6xx range Yamaha upwards then you can mix larger speakers at front with tiny ones (Jamo) at rear.

If you have the space then no doubt buy full sized hifi speakers. Build the system slowly when funds allow so you don´t have to buy cheapest products. Ideally you would look something in the 200-300£ range for front mains and matching center channel typically around 150-200£. Is this possible?

How large room you have, what is the distance from tv to your couch?
Thanks. Yea, its the v681.

That sounds really good actually. What kind of size do you mean? Also it'll be whether I can convince the other half! I may need to look at 2nd hand options probably.

Probably around 3.5 metres from tv to couch.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Yea, its the v681.

That sounds really good actually. What kind of size do you mean? Also it'll be whether I can convince the other half! I may need to look at 2nd hand options probably.

Probably around 3.5 metres from tv to couch.

I meant the room dimensions. But 3,5m sounds quite normal distance to tv so definitely look something larger as those tiny Jamos will be struggling and the sound quality is what is for the low price. People spend big bucks for receiver but then buy cheap speaker package, this is not ideal. Upgrade peace by peace. Example if you buy first bookshelf speakers and speaker stands then you can run 4.1 system by turning the center channel off. Then add center channel next. Then new subwoofer and finally new surround channels if required.

If you have to please wife i would consider Q Acoustics 3000i range in that case. Not sure what you think of white finish but there is cheap centre now available at Essex, but the guy drives work runs so maybe you could meet somewhere.

And the front main speakers now on sale:

There is so many options. Better that you go through them with wife first to see which she green lights and then can think more.

Porradude

I meant the room dimensions. But 3,5m sounds quite normal distance to tv so definitely look something larger as those tiny Jamos will be struggling and the sound quality is what is for the low price. People spend big bucks for receiver but then buy cheap speaker package, this is not ideal. Upgrade peace by peace. Example if you buy first bookshelf speakers and speaker stands then you can run 4.1 system by turning the center channel off. Then add center channel next. Then new subwoofer and finally new surround channels if required.

If you have to please wife i would consider Q Acoustics 3000i range in that case. Not sure what you think of white finish but there is cheap centre now available at Essex, but the guy drives work runs so maybe you could meet somewhere.

And the front main speakers now on sale:

There is so many options. Better that you go through them with wife first to see which she green lights and then can think more.
Thanks for such a concise reply, it's really helpful.

I'll have a look at the speakers you mentioned and have a chat with the wife as well and hopefully I can start upgrading soon.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom