1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade my AMP?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtorry, Dec 17, 2001.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Videologic Digitheatre DD 5.1 and am currently looking at upgrading this. I am thinking about getting a new amp but keeping the speakers and sub that came with the digitheatre. First of all is this possible and what improvements will I get from a more expensive amp. Would I need new speakers as well. I have a relativly small room 9 x 12 feet.

I have a budget of about £500.

I also need speakers to be quite small as i don't have much space.

2. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am going exactly down this route myself because I need an amp to use with my Sony DVP-NS900 player for playing SACDs and for DTS decoding (something the Digitheatre DD 5.1 cannot do).

I have ordered the Sony STR-DB1070S receiver and plan to start off with the front, rear and centre satellite speakers connected directly to the receivers binding posts and the subwoofer's auxiliary input connected to the receivers subwoofer preout.

The receiver is in the process of being sent to my parents, where I will be for Xmas from Friday. I'll let you know how I get on!

Regards,

Alan Hazell

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am very much of the opinion that Hi Fi and Home Cinema upgrades can be done gradually. I look at the system, see what is the weak link and think about upgrading it. This process of osmosis also allows many more things past the "other half" as she tends not to get excited about one o two bits changing.

If you think the amp is not doing what you want. Take your cash buy the best thing you can (rather than dilute with speakers). Then save up again over time and then upgrade the next bit.

I do this alot during the saving period you can research, listen and fiddle about with all sorts of options.

Just my idea. But I am a gadget techy bloke.
    Rog

4. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one to think this is a funny question to ask of a group of upgrade addicts?! ;)

5. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was always expecting to be told to upgrade. I was after advice on what to get when i upgrade. I am prety cluless when it comes to audio. I have a budget of about £500 and my room is only small so i am not sure if really powerfull speakers are neaded.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Without a doubt, absolutely upgrade your amp!!!
    Get the very best one you can afford too.
    In my opinion, it's the most vital part of your system. I went from a Yamaha 592 to the Yamaha A2 and it made a huge difference.
    I kept my original KEF 60s speakers, and they just grew in performance.
    Remember that your amp will be central to your whole system, now and in the future. I'd look at the outgoing models from Denon, Yamaha etc and see what bargains you can pick up. A few months back they'd cost £1000 - £2000 now they can be had for £500+. They'd far outperform the compettion ie, Sony and have practically all the features you could want for the forseeable future inlc. 6 channel inputs!
    If you bear in mind that amps evolve every 12 months or so, what you buy 'feature' wise is not too critical. My best bit of advice there is make sure you think Inputs Inputs Inputs. You'll surprised at how they'll fill up!
    Good luck hunting around.

7. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. Can someone actually give me a link to an amp that is good so i know what i am looking for. They all look the same to me. I would like to get one that supports dts ES if possible and maybe dolby pro logic 2. Thanks

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ...mind you, if DPL II is important to you, then your choices are restricted the the newer amps on the market therefore higher prices.

10. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. I will have a look and post back later with a possible choice to see if anyone has had any experience with what i choose.

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ok. But take your time. I'd also bet that the sales will throw up some seriously good bargains.

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ...and another good link is Hi Fi Bitz. Look top right of your screen.

13. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the video inputs on the amps for?

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Let's say you have a lot of equipment ie, Sky, DVD, VCR, Playstation, camcorder etc. You can feed them all into the amp and have one lead go from the amp to the TV. This can be video and s video, and on newer amps also component to feed projectors ar newer TV's.
    TV's only have two maybe three scart inputs generally, and you can fill them up with ease. The amp would act as a switching box, as mine does for all my kit. Very handy.

15. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks

16. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sorry, but I also forgot to mention this sites very own classifieds section. Very helpful.

17. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  18. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't heard a Marantz so I don't feel I am qualified to comment but it has recieved good reviews though.

As far as I am aware you won't be able to get hold of this model in anything but black in the UK, if this is important to you!

I hope you don't tell me otherwise because I would have preferred a Prologic II receiver to my silver Sony receiver if I hadn't of found my Sony available for such a good price!!

My mum signed for it this morning and didn't have a clue what it does!!! ;-)

Alan

19. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While the Marantz is a fine amp, if you can stretch your budget further from 500 pounds, you should go for the Denon 3802. Unbeatable for the money.

Eric