Should I Upgrade my 42 inch Panny Plasma

robwatkins1990

Novice Member
Reaction score
I get great prices through my work on Samsung TV's. I can afford to get 7 (JU7000) series 55 inch or the 8 (JS8500) series 55 inch.

I have a few questions which I would really appreciate your help on.

Is it worth upgrading my plasma? (I know at the time I brought it, the picture quality especially the black depiction was considered phenomenal for the price)
Is Curved a fad? Should I stay flat and get the better deal with the 7 series?

Last edited:
I'm thinking same as you, nothing wrong with my Panny plasma but interested in a new set.
Curved looks well but I'm under impression it's just a fad.
With curved you have to sit directly in front of them I think.
Might just run the plasma until it goes pop then buy a new one

I am just torn... I need to make a decision before xmas! I just know the new sets are a lot slimmer. The one thing I cannot put my finger on is whether the picture will be MUCH BETTER?

I'm nearly in the same boat as my Panny plasma is about to go pop but it appears as long as it isn't on for more than a few hours the problem (red sparklies) stays away. [EDIT - It's only been on for an hour and they've appeared. Time for a new TV!] I don't remember being this confused the last time I bought a TV but all this HDR, 10bit malarky has thrown a spanner in the works or I would have just bought a replacement by now.

[EDIT] - Sub £1000 for a stop-gap TV or £lots on what could be an overpriced stop-gap!!?

Last edited:
@davepuma I'm in exactly the same boat - much-loved 8-ish years old 42" Panasonic plasma but increasingly now plagued by blacks intermittently showing up as sparkly reds.

Did you bite the bullet and swap? If so, what did you go for....?

I haven't bought anything yet but that's only because my TV is struggling along and the fault is intermittent. It's been okay for over a week now. I'm still tracking the TV forums. Right now, despite the issues with android tv, the Sony is my preference.

I held off but pretty sure I will go for the 8 series curved because I now have a Samsung wireless speaker the R5 one. So I will get a tv that works with that and my soundbar!

I am just waiting for CES at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom