Should I Upgrade from KEF 3005's to Monitor Audio RS ?

eddiem74

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I currently have a KEF 3005 Speaker Package (not the SE version), and am wondering is it worth an upgrade to the Monitor Audio RS range given some of the specials floating around at the minute?

The KEF's were my first move into the world of AMP's and Speakers, and were purchased originally primarily based on the good reviews they got.

The MA Package I am looking at would be:

- Pair RS1’s plus stands
- Pair RS8s’
- RSLCR (maybe a stand)
- SUB: AW12 or RSW-12

What do you think - a worthy upgrade or not ? :confused:

I think the improvement in music will be very noticeable. Movies as well, but not to the same degree.

Why not try a demo of the RS1 speakers and the kefs? Whether the improvement is worth it, is really up to you... but I'll tell you this... after demoing some lifestyle packages and some full size speakers, the difference was enough to convince me to get full size speakers :) The lifestyle speakers weren't even an option after the demos :D

Depending on the size of your room, you could consider RS6 instead of RS8. For normal living room already RS6 provides so much bass that it can become a problem acoustic wise. I would only consider RS8 with a se that wouldn't have a sub.

I would also consider another sub than MA, unless you can get a very nice package deal when going MA all the way. While RSW-12 is not a bad sub at all (have one myself), it is very highly priced. You could get equally good sub with a lot less money or much better one for the same amount. Many people go for BK or SVS instead.

New MA RX series is also out, so you might consider that or at least get a nice deal for the older RS set.

I haven't demoed KEF so I cannot say about the improvement there, but MA RS is definitely a great set if you are into both movies and music. I started listening again my old CDs and by new ones once I got my set :)

Thanks Guys for the feedback.

I am working on trying to get an MA RS package together based on some of the good deals around, assuming at least one good colour is left. :rolleyes:

My living room is around 18ft x 15ft, with a semi-solid wood floor, and block walls.

Anyone else any thought's or opinions ? :lease:

RSW-12 is likely to be available at a discount .

Is that because the RSW-12 will be replaced by a new X series version, and is the discount on RSW-12 the going to be similar to the half price deals on the rest of the RS range?

Is that because the RSW-12 will be replaced by a new X series version, and is the discount on RSW-12 the going to be similar to the half price deals on the rest of the RS range?

There is a new RXW-12 sub already released although it seems to be very slowly trickling into the system (our demo unit hasn't arrived yet !)
Monitor Audio Silver RXW-12 Subwoofer - compact RXW-12 active subwoofer with a new 500 watt Class D amplifier provides enough power to control with brutal efficiency - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

The half price deals were supported by MA trying to move excess stock which is why there were only certain colours available. You are more likely to find ex-demo RSW-12's available.

The AW-12 is quite a new release in the UK so is unlikely to be discounted anymore than a deal you can strike at the time.

RSW-12 is likely to be available at a discount whereas the AW12 is not.

So which would better choice AW12 or RSW-12 or much of a muchness ? :confused: And what kind of price range for both ?

AW12 is the better sub but at this point in time the RSW-12 is likely to be better value.

I think I was actually offered the AW12 for over £100 cheaper. Need to double-check now. :confused:

You could ask offers for the whole 5 speaker set with rsw-12/aw-12 and withouth it. More easy to decide whether to go with MA sub or something else.

You could ask offers for the whole 5 speaker set with rsw-12/aw-12 and withouth it. More easy to decide whether to go with MA sub or something else.

Yeah, thats what I plan too. :smashin:

Well my offer includes the AW12 Sub in Piano Black, and if I wanted the RSW-12 it would cost over £100 more. Perhaps trying to shift some AW12 stock.

Anyway, issue now is on the colours they have available:

RS8 – Walnut / Natural Oak / Rosenut / Cherry

RSLCR: Cherry

RS1: Walnut / Natural Oak

RS6: Walnut / Cherry

RS5: Black

I would probably go for walnut, but the dealer doesn't have the center in that finish, guess I need to shop around for a center? I think AW12 in black should be ok? (I think :confused:)

Had a chance to demo both systems, and by and large they are about equivalents of each other, with AW 12 having a slight edge as less source will carry it further. It is also more aesthetically appealing, and will keep its value better as the RSW12 is to be phased out. So if you can get the AW 12 cheaper, that's sounds like a no brainer.

God bless,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom