Question Should I upgrade from a Denon AVR-X2200W?

EddyHorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I would get a significant improvement by upgrading my AVR. The Denon AVR-X2200W is the only AVR I have used for any reasonable time in my current home and I feel it could be better. My current speakers are all monitor audio as follows: R270HD, R250HD, R45HD. I have R180HD waiting to replace the R45HDs and CT165s to go in the ceiling. I'm also running a BK XLS200-DF.

My room dimensions are 4.75m x 3.65m and the layout (sofa against back wall) dictates a maximum speaker configuration of 5.1.2. So I don't need additional processing or amplification channels above what I have.

In previous homes I have had AVR's from higher up the range including Yamaha DSP-A1, Sony STR-DA5200ES and Onkyo TX-SR875. These all felt better built than my current Denon but they should given their respective prices. I also think their 5.1 performance in particular the Yamaha was better but without being able to compare in my current home this could be the room rather than the equipment.

I'm happy to spend up to £1k, don't mind buying used and would be interested to hear peoples opinions on if I should upgrade. In particular regarding the following: would the Denon AVR-X3400H be a noticable upgrade due to it using Audyssey MultEQ XT32? I'm also drawn to a used Yamaha RX-A3050 or newer but have read a few comments that Yamaha's room correction isn't as good as Audyssey. Finally would something like the Denon AVR-X3400H combined with a used 7 channel power amp be better than similar money spent on just an AVR?

Having said all the above should I just stick with the AVR I already own?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom