1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade before buying new speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dork knight, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As the title asks, Should I upgrade before buying new speakers?

I'm currantly using a TEAC AG10D av receiver with TDL floor standers & a wharfdale centre & some old hifi speakers at the rear. The Mrs & I have just orderd a Panny 42PV500 & are intending to order those cinema seats from Harveys, so she thinks we need some nice speakers :clap: that match eachother so the room looks nice.

She thinks we can spend up to £1000 on these speakers, but is it worth it for this Receiver? I dont know too much about AV receivers so im not sure if this ones good or Goodmans. It seems ok to me, but I want some advice from you experts please :lease:

If we need to upgrade, any suggestions? bearing in mind we have a limit to get receiver AND speakers. If we dont need to upgrade what sorta speakers should we be looking at?

Thanks

Paul

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Are you looking for floorstanders again? Do you use the system to play music or is it mostly movies?
    Is the budget £1000 for speakers and av reciever. I would personally say you could get a better reciever thn you presently own for under £400 depending upon what your main use is. :devil:

3. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Its for Movies & watching TV(SKY) I do listen to music with the set up too, but usually only when Im playing on the PS2 & dont want to listen to the game.

I was looking at geting floorstanders again & a centre.

The budget was just for speakers originly but will have to stretch it to include the AV receiver too if needed.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    and boy do those fronts sound good :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

6. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    they look pretty cool. I'll look into em

On the receiver front, what hifi this month rates the Denon Avr-1906 as the best under £400 or 500 (cant remember exactly). Is this really good? or they been paid off? :rotfl:

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I look at 'em every day :smashin:

What hifi?? should just change there name to What Denon?? as they seem to love anything thet Denon put out. I havent really had a good listen to much Denon stuff so cant comment.

8. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thought as much, thats why I thought I'd get the opinion of the fine people on these forums :smashin:

Im heading into london tomorrow so will try & look at the AE Evos. I like the look of em & the reviews they've got, just gotta convince my girlfriend now :D

Back to the receiver though, the Pioneer 1015 one sounds pretty decent, you heard that or any other pio's Dfour? or anyone else?

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you dont have any problems with buying from Germany you can get a Yamaha rxv 757 for arround £340 inclusive. No warrenty problems and all you have to do is change the plug to a UK one :D

I havent heard anyu of the new pioneers but most of the reviews say they are good at high octane movies but not so good with quiet ones and music.

10. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Any reviews of that about?

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Do a search for the amp on the web and see what comes up. I knwo there was a review in What Denon?? and guess what won???? :eek: :rotfl: :nono:

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    This sony 795 is considered very good, up there with the best of them
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/2000

And for the price i doubt you could go wrong, it does lack a few features like upconversion to component and doesn't have any digital video altough you'd be hard pressed to find anything less than 1k that does that (although that yamaha 2600 is awfuly tempting).

13. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I cant find reviews of the Yam, but I found a picture on the Yam site & the Mrs dont like it :rotfl:

Im in a kinda Anti-Sony mood these days, so won't be going near that lol. thanks for the input though gaz.

Any other suggestions to knock me away from the Pio 1015? I can get it for £369.99 deliverd!

Still likeing the look of the AE Evos for speakers, gunna try n se em close up today, but the Mrs is likeing the look of the MS Genie(lil alien head looking things) & the Duo-77 from an add in HCC mag

14. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Bought our new av gear Friday. Ended up getting the Yamaha dsp ax757se with b&w 603 s3 fronts, 601 s3 rears, lcr60 centre & asw600 sub. Went a little over budget, but after we demod the kit we couldn't help ourselves! :clap:

Just need new speaker cable now, Whats good, but not too expensive & do I need to bi-wire them?

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I use Chord Carnival for my front three which is about £5/m and QED silver micro for my rears whihc is about £2.50 a meter, the chord is nice and thick so i dobt you need to bi-wire but you could if you want, the silver micro was the biggest supprise such an improvement over bell wire.

16. dork knight

dork knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    any spesific place I should be looking for those cables gaz? or are they widely avilable?

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Widly availible and prices are pretty much fixed, i wouldn't buy anything that cost more than £5-6/meter though as i doubt there will be any difference and using cheaper cables for rears should be ok as there is generaly less sound sent that way and they don't have to perform full range (i.e. bass).

QED silver aniversery is also a favourate although i think the cord carnival has taken that of late, I know sevenoaks definitly has these cables in and most only stores will also have them, if you don't live near a hifi store.

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Instead of biwiring the speakers just replace the jumpers in between the speaker posts with the same speaker cable your using to wirhe them up and you will achieve 90% of the biwiring effect witout the extra expense :smashin: