Should I trust Amazon.co.uk sellers selling MacBooks cheaper?

pppp1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the new 2015 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro (i5/8gb RAM/256 SSD). The Apple store price is GPB1.200 but there are these sellers on Amazon.co.uk selling it in the 1010-1050 range. I emailed one selling it at 1.030 and they say it's a brand new sealed UK model with one year Apple warranty.

Is there a catch? How can they sell at such a big discount? Should I buy? Has anyone had experience with sellers like these?

Personally, spending that amount I would buy direct from Amazon (if they sell it) rather than a reseller.
If it goes pear-shaped Amazon can't be held liable...there was something about this on the Martin Lewis website recently I believe.

Look to buy direct from Amazon.

If not look for sales that are "fulfilled by Amazon".

Otherwise, any Marketplace sellers, independent of Amazon involvement, is just like buying from eBay, and just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I'd also be very careful when buying from a Marketplace seller on Amazon that you are actually getting the latest model as sold by Apple (at a discount) or just old stock of a previous model.

Have you considered the Apple Refurb Store only £979 on there (July 2014 model though), but I think you're only missing out on a slightly slower processor (2.6 - 2.7 - 0.1MHz) and a Force Touchpad, you may want the latest and greatest, but is this really worth an extra £221!.

I brought my Mac Pro from Amazon last year. It was a little dearer than their marketplace sellers but still significantly less than buying it from Apple direct (about £400.00).
I just couldn't bring myself to trust the marketplace sellers on a £3K order and for peace of mind I'd say don't do it.
The only minor aggravation I had was when registering the AppleCare 3 year warranty, the end date was six months short. This was because the Amazon stock was a bit old but a quick phone call to Apple sorted it (I just had to email them a copy of my Amazon receipt).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom