1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I trade my VX2100E for a new HDR-FX1E...>

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by indexwheel, Dec 28, 2004.

1. indexwheel

indexwheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I guess real the question is what is the next model after the FX1E, because if I knew the FX1e was to be released so soon, I would not have bought the VX2100E only about 6 or 7 months ago.

I really like the resolution the new camera offers, and that it can do 16:9 natively. Does anyone have any idea what the next model might be capable of, and is it worth waiting for?

Regards, Rob

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  3. indexwheel

indexwheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...your comments and the link appreciated. It is a really good HDV resource with lots of info. As to whether to spring the extra big bucks for the pro version, I guess my bank account will have to make that decision....I'll lose heaps on selling the VX2100e to start with!

I am hoping that using the camera in 4:3 mode will give higher res images than the VX2100E, which is about 520 lines horizontal, on account of the better resolution ccd's. Do you think this will be the case and that we will be able to take advantage of the full 720 x 576 pixels DVD resolution that is available?

Regards, Rob

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Excellent the HDsony looks to be exactly what I'm after.
    Anyone know what it actually shoots? 1280x720 at 24/25fps is ideally what I want unless it can do 1080i at 50/60 hz but derived from real 24 or 25fps capture ( 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown in other words)

Also is it 3 ccd ? Can't believe it will be at that price.

cheers

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are two versions

FX1E is consumer version

Z1E is the pro version.

The HDV format they record is 1440x1080i , but the pro version you can select 60/50 (NTSC or PAL). You can't do this on the consumer version.

Oh & yes it is a genuine 16:9 3CCD camera.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Reading bad things about this camera. Especially with regard to the progressive capture modes. 24fps is apparently a 60i capture with some sort of deinterlacing going on followed by a frame cull.... looks ok if you play it back interlaced but it doesn't do vey well if you try and use it as frames. The 25fps capture may be better but this might be just down to the slightly better temporal resolution masking the half-measure frame cull.

Not much use for me.

7. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a go on a preproduction model last autumn, native DV was pretty damn good, however the HDV was very lossy.

There were bugs with the first run of VX1000's (poor compression, lots of jaggies)and VX2000's/PD150's (terrible audio), sony did do some revisions over the production life of these cams and sorted any issues, but I had access to a pool of early PD150's, and even after the sony recall, they were never brilliant.

I would wait six months and buy the sorted version. If you are shooting for playback on a monitor or for broadcast the VX2100 can cut it, if you want to do LCD projections or filmmaking it's only really worth upgrading then. Wait for the technology to settle down, you'll probably find that JVC will come up with something half decent (the HD1 was pants) along the lines of thier streamcorder, and I can see canon staying out the HDV market for much longer.

8. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    meant to say canon won't stay out the HDV market much longer

9. indexwheel

indexwheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I certainly hadn't realized that the PD150/70 was as bad as that originally. Certainly, the quality of video and sound from my VX2100E is really good, but I guess it's the end result of debugging the previous models. So your point about waiting a while is well taken, and I am tending toward that idea too. Another thing is that HDV video editing and capture software is still a bit thin on the ground, so it may be worth waiting anyway until the first couple of versions have been around a while.

Regards, Rob

10. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sony now own Vegas Video & have already said the next update will contain new features to support HDV. There will also be a "Connect HD" plug-in offered at a discounted price apparently.

11. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Final Cut 4 can also have an HD plug in and Igather Adobe are going to have one for Premiere PRO.

All this aside I don't know if Thailand has HD broadcasting or not, unless you have an HD compatible TV set you would only have to downgrade your output to regular broadcast standards, which your VX21k will just about meet anyway.

Yeah the PD's & VX2ks had really audible buzzing when recording with the LCD open, initial PD170's had same bug.

PD150's had quite hissy audio through their production run, thats why I bought the xm2 instead (with the MA300 xlr box).